DIY Sump comments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquariumadvice

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Please have a look at my sump design. I like to hear your comments on this one. Also, can you tell me the pump that I am going to use, is this going to work to pump up from the basement to ground floor total height about 14' to top of the tank.

Thanks

TANK SIDE VIEW.jpg TANK ISOMETRIC VIEW.jpg

At 14' you get 560 gph from the magdrive 18, 725 gph from the mag drive 24. Mag drives are pretty standard and reliable. I'd go skimmer, refugium, return just to keep bubbles from getting sucked up.
But I'd check with other people too just to make sure. How big is the tank your using this for? Is this a 40g or 30g?

At 14' you get 560 gph from the magdrive 18, 725 gph from the mag drive 24. Mag drives are pretty standard and reliable. I'd go skimmer, refugium, return just to keep bubbles from getting sucked up.
But I'd check with other people too just to make sure. How big is the tank your using this for? Is this a 40g or 30g?

Thanks, this is a 30 gal sump (36"x12"x24"h) is going to pump up to the 50 gal tank (48"x12"x18"h).

I think the fundamental design is great. My concern would be are you going to get enough flow from the tank to the sump with only a 3/4" inlet? "Standard" seems to be 1" to 1-1/2". You probably ought to direct that flow through a filter sock as well so you aren't blowing away your DSB. Directing flow through a manifold (one inlet to several outlets) might help as well.

I think the fundamental design is great. My concern would be are you going to get enough flow from the tank to the sump with only a 3/4" inlet? "Standard" seems to be 1" to 1-1/2". You probably ought to direct that flow through a filter sock as well so you aren't blowing away your DSB. Directing flow through a manifold (one inlet to several outlets) might help as well.

Thanks, that why I have ball valve on the return pipe where I can control the flow to the tank to meet the pvc overflow.

Back
Top Bottom