Do Angelfish need salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sms1852

Aquarium Advice Regular
The manager of Pet Supermarket has told me twice that Angelfish need salt because they are brackish. I've never heard of this so I 'd thought I'd ask here before I buy them.

No angel fish are not brackish. Unless you got Monodactylus Angels..
No fresh water fish need salt and few have actual benefit from it . It is just old fish tales to use it on the regular.
Too many sheeple with no fish skill keep this myth going still today.
If you did not guess I am the president of " all against salt in the aquarium club because everyone said to ". It is an irritant to most all fish, and only practical purpose is for nitrite poisoning AKA brown blood disease...IMO

No fresh water fish need salt and few have actual benefit from it . It is just old fish tales to use it on the regular.
If you did not guess I am the president of " all against salt in the aquarium club because everyone said to ". It is an irritant to most all fish, and only practical purpose is for nitrite poisoning AKA brown blood disease...IMO

Thank you. It sounded odd to me. She also told me should cycle with fish in & only change the water once a week. Against my better judgement I am doing a fish in cycle but doing water changes every other day. I don't have angels yet. So far I have 4 bronze cories & 1 albino. My plan is to get a school of diamond tetras & 2 angels. I have a 29 gallon with an ac70, 5 plants & one driftwood.

No No No Do not put salt in with angelfish. The only thing salt is good for is hatching brine shrimp, it should not be in the aquarium. Fresh water fish like FRESH water. Your fish store manager does not know what she is talking about, but I guess that is pretty typical.

I went back to Pet Supermarket today & they said some of their angels are mono's. They didn't have any angels today. Would 2 mono angel's be okay in a 29 gallon community tank with diamond tetras & cories or should I avoid mono's?

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.kL_V1uW_kWIJstQtByVitQEsD7&w=219&h=181&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.7
So the angels look EXACTLY like this one above ?
If they are really monos get 3-5..
You will have a PACKED tank but they are great together...
They won't pair up like regular angels so getting a heard of them is best.They are a big beefy fish.They will fill your whole tank.3 minimum...
If the fish looks anything like a common angel the store is so full of BS they don't deserve your money IMO...
Not just add salt but a brackish to full marine set up is best for monos.
They are not the most common fish so I HIGHLY doubt the store has monos.
Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong though.
Monos are not a good combo with tetras.
Tetras DEFINITLEY don't like salt....

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.kL_V1uW_kWIJstQtByVitQEsD7&w=219&h=181&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1.7
So the angels look EXACTLY like this one above ?
If they are really monos get 3-5..
You will have a PACKED tank but they are great together...
They won't pair up like regular angels so getting a heard of them is best.They are a big beefy fish.They will fill your whole tank.3 minimum...
If the fish looks anything like a common angel the store is so full of BS they don't deserve your money IMO...
Not just add salt but a brackish to full marine set up is best for monos.
They are not the most common fish so I HIGHLY doubt the store has monos.
Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong though.
Monos are not a good combo with tetras.
Tetras DEFINITLEY don't like salt....

I haven't seen any like that in the store. But I can't say for sure they've never had them. They are a very new store opened in February. I'm thinking of getting my angelfish elsewhere. They also said they add salt to all their tanks. I already have the tetras so no monos for me.

Back
Top Bottom