Do i need a bigger tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pckerfreak44

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have a 5.5 gallon tank with three serpae tetra and three ghost shrimp. The tetras barely move out of one side of the tank. Should I upgrade to a 10 gal and buy maybe 1 or 2 more tetras or will they be fine?

Yes I would definitely upgrade to at least a 10g. The shrimp are ok in that size tank, but other than that, the only fish that could live in a 5.5g is a betta. Tetras need room to school and swim and that's probably why they aren't moving a lot. Upgrading at least to a 10g would give them more room.

Serpae tetras require a school of at least 6-8 and require a minimum tank size of 15-20 gallons (some places list 10 gallons, but in order to accommodate proper schooling size, bioload and swimming size, it really should be more).

Yeah, a 5.5 gal is too small for Serpae Tetras. They are active shoaling fish that are best kept in a group of 6 or more (the more the better) in at least a 20gal tank with plants, DW and rock to provide hiding places and reduce stress so they feel more secure.

Thanks. My friend has a 10 gal he would sell me, you think that will be enough? and my tank is definatly well planted haha. Should i buy a few more too?

Back
Top Bottom