Do I need powerheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tabs2000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everybody,

I'm new to this and still learning. I have had my 54 litre tank set up for about 7 months now and i've been having a massive algae problem and i carnt seem to get rid of the stuff. I will do a water change and algae willl have grown back the next day. I am running a Eheim Ecco 2232 filter and using the standard lighting that i got with the tank. (planning on upgrading lighting soon) I am planning on getting a TMC V2 nano skimmer and TMC V2 UV nano steriliser in the near future. hopefully this will help get rid of the algae. I also read that adding powerheads to increase the flow would help. So I was wondering if adding a hydor koralia nano powerhead now would help me.

thanks

tom

Attachments

• IMG_0103.jpg
    IMG_0103.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 145
A powerhead MAY help a little. It actually sounds like an excess of nutrients. What media are you running in the filter and ho0w often do you clean it? What is your source water and PWC schedule? Lighting duration? Sorry for all the questions....

Welcome to AA! :)

Hey thanks for the quick response,

I am running from the bottom, the blue foam pad, then eheim substrat pro biological filter materrial, then i have a bag of tropic marin Elimi-Phos, the white filter pad and finally an active carbon pad. I clean the filter out every 4-6 weeks, by rinsing the biological material out, rising the canister out and changing the white pad and carbon pad for new ones, i havent changed the Elimi-Phos bag yet but it has been in for about 3 months so will be changing that soon.
I use RO water from my LFS and change 10% every week.
My lighting is on for 12 hours

Thank you

Tom

Reduce your lighting to 8-10 hours. In reality there is only 10 hours of usable light at the equator even though it's about 12 hours of total sun time. That should help a tad. You might want to also keep those blinds closed. Powerheads also would never hurt.

Hey, for the powerhead which one do you recommened. been looking at koralia nano powerheads, and also for a uv steroliser which one would be good for my tank. thanks tom

Back
Top Bottom