Do I need to worry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stefernini

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought turquoise rainbows a few weeks ago and now that they are in the main tank I noticed they have white lips. I've never had rainbows before, is this normal or do I have a possible cotton mouth infection? Everyone is acting normal and happy.

Amonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 10
Temp - 78
Ph - 7.8

EDIT: Pic
img_2170756_0_7ba30004e5bcf23256bf064614c2ef72.jpg

Last edited:
I have Kamaka Rainbows, which are similar, they were shipped from Georgia, the day after, they developed exactly what you describe, white lips. They were eating fine, so I assumed that was just stress from the trip.
After a week, they became normal, no medications used.
So I hope that yours are going to go to the same process

Some of my fish have had white lips from pecking things too hard I think. Once I put a fish in a breeder net and it pushed up against the net and seemed to get white lips. If in an aggressive tank like african cichlids they might get white markings on their sides. My female mollies seemed to get it white markings from the male. I think they are like bruises, although what I describe sounds somewhat like ich I am fairly sure that the cause is biting things/each other. It should go away, although it might slightly weaken the immune system, not so much if it is limited to the mouth though. This might be the cause for you.

They haven't been aggressive with each other or any other fish. It seems to be going away a little, so I think it may just be stress or something.

They didn't necessarily have to be aggressive, perhaps they just swam too violently into the side of the bag out of fright during transfer. In any case, if it seems to be going away that is probably good.

I had treadfins do that when I 1st got them, all had what looked like fungus patches on the lips, a few days later all gone.

MagicAfra said:
Some of my fish have had white lips from pecking things too hard I think. Once I put a fish in a breeder net and it pushed up against the net and seemed to get white lips. If in an aggressive tank like african cichlids they might get white markings on their sides. My female mollies seemed to get it white markings from the male. I think they are like bruises, although what I describe sounds somewhat like ich I am fairly sure that the cause is biting things/each other. It should go away, although it might slightly weaken the immune system, not so much if it is limited to the mouth though. This might be the cause for you.

I was trying to figure out how to explain just exactly that...lol...thanks! I was thinking bruising too...they can be feisty. :)

Back
Top Bottom