Do planted tanks need a filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New_b0401

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would like to move some fish out of my planted tank into a different 10 gallon without plants. Can i move the sponge filter from the planted established tank into my other 10 gallon so it will be cycled and leave the plants without a filter until I have time to go get another? Or do I even need to get another filter? Should I add an air stone for water flow?

Long story:
I bought a 10 gallon over stalked tank full of snails and a TON of fish. It was an as is purchase and the guy was not specific on how over run the tank was. I would like to move the fish I have a cycled 20 long to move some too, but don't want to over stalk it (yes there are that many fish). Could I set up another 10 gallon with the sponge filter from the original tank and leave just the plants without a filter so i can wash them out and get rid of the snails?
Thanks for any help and or advice :)

Sent from my Xoom using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Planted Tanks & Filters

Hello New...

If you change the tank water often enough and use an air pump and a length of tubing attached to the bottom of the tank for surface movement to mix oxygen into the water, you don't need a mechanical filter.

Half the tank water will need to be removed and replaced about every 2 to 3 days, depending on the number of fish in the tank.

The more fish, the more often the water must be changed.

B

Hello New...

If you change the tank water often enough and use an air pump and a length of tubing attached to the bottom of the tank for surface movement to mix oxygen into the water, you don't need a mechanical filter.

Half the tank water will need to be removed and replaced about every 2 to 3 days, depending on the number of fish in the tank.

The more fish, the more often the water must be changed.

B

Im not planning on having any fish in the tank only plants. And I will have an air stone in the tank for gas exchange and water flow.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Filterless Tank

Im not planning on having any fish in the tank only plants. And I will have an air stone in the tank for gas exchange and water flow.

Hello again New...

The plants won't need a mechanical filter. The water will still need to be changed to maintain healthy mineral levels, but a 50 percent water change weekly will be plenty.

B

Hello again New...

The plants won't need a mechanical filter. The water will still need to be changed to maintain healthy mineral levels, but a 50 percent water change weekly will be plenty.

B

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom