Do you plant with tweezers or your hand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had a foot long pair of tweezers for a while and I always used it just to pull out dead stuff. I always planted with my hand...I saw a video of a guy planting by using tweezers and I can only smack my head and say, "Why haven't I been doing it that way?" It's so much easier it seems!

I don't think it would be easier. Of course, I don't have any tweezers other than the ones made for pulling splinters out of your finger. I'm guessing you're talking about the long ones with the cutters and pinchers on them? I can't see how it would be easier. Seems like it would be harder to me. I stick 3 fingers in the substrate, pull the substrate out, stick the plant in, cover up the roots. Maybe I'm just old school?

I would find it easer to be working with 5 or 10 fingers rather than with a pair of tweezers. Just seems easier to me.

I use my big tweezers mostly...it is easier and plants seem to stay better I think. They never stay when I plant with my hands.

Yeah, I always seem to have issues with planting with my hands, especially plants with thin roots.

I've had a foot long pair of tweezers for a while and I always used it just to pull out dead stuff. I always planted with my hand...I saw a video of a guy planting by using tweezers and I can only smack my head and say, "Why haven't I been doing it that way?" It's so much easier it seems!

I don't use tweezers, but I have a pair of rounded tip scissors I use to prune plants back with and sometimes if I use them to push roots into the substrate. Easier then my fingers when the roots are tiny.

I plant with my hands if I can. I've got a pair of bent-tip hemostats to plant the little stuff I can do with my big paws.

(also a fan of Dustin's)

I'd have to add that it probably has a lot to do with substrate as well. Sand and dirt are much more fluid as a substrate, so the tweezers can easily push through it.

Gravel on the other hand, can easily defeat any attempt to use a planting tool other than the fleshy kind. And it only gets worse the larger the grain of the gravel.

I've just started with low-tech plants in my gravel tank and I've gotten quite good at doing "micro-excavations" with two fingers while holding the plant with the other. :)

I use hemostats for the tiny plants like hc and glosso... Fingers for everything else.

Back
Top Bottom