Does my blackmoor have white spot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weaselandalf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, I'm really woried at the moment, I got a Blackmoor and a pearlscale yesterday. We took a sample of the water to the pet store and they tested it and said it was perfect. My tank is planted, freshwater with a good three way filter.
My Blackmoor has a spot the size of a grain of salt on the area between his tail and body on the left side. It is white.

I have tried to take a photo but it just wont work. Is is white spot? What should I do? Both fish seem fine since I bought them yesterday evening.

The only other things are that they are going to the toilet a lot and there is some strange white fluffy fungus on the side of my filter, but I think these things are unrelated. Can anyone help me?

White salt-like grains is the basic description of ich, but I would wait and see if there is only one spot. It may be nothing. If you start to see more spots, then you need to get some meds. For tropical fish you can crank up the temp but goldfish don't like it. Popular meds are Malachite Green, Copper Sulfate, Formulin, or Potassium Permanganate. Malachite green is a favorite, but it is called green for a reason-it will stain everything. Remove any carbon from your filter during treatment.

As for them "going to the toilet" alot, that is the basic description of goldfish. Also we can help you more if you answer the question in the stciky at the top of the unhealthy fish section.

Well, he looked okay the night before, though he seemed to have a bit of trouble eating his fish flakes, as he was to slow to catch them. But the Blackmoor is fine at the moment.
Because of his colour it was harder to look for whitespot if that's what it was that killed him. I had only had him for a couple of days, so I wasn't sure what he looked like without it, and he was mostly white anyway.
I put the meds in at 6.00 and we last saw him alive at 10.30 the same night, wouldn't the meds have killed him quicker?
8O
Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom