Don't do what I did.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stretch

Aquarium Advice Activist
I did a PWC this evening and went out for a few drinks. I came home an hour ago and found all of my 8 neons dead. I forgot to add Stress Coat to the new water and it killed them. :(

Well that takes the fun right out of it.

Sorry for your loss. Was it Chlorine in the tap water?

CH

I guess so. I did 20-30% water change, which is less than I have been doing. The only thing different is that I forgot to add Stress Coat.

Well thats weird, I just started adding stress zyme to my water change, never had any problems before though.

I will keep that in mind though. Thanks.

Bummer. You can tell if you have chlorine or chloramine in your municipal supply by doing an ammonia test on the tap water. Chloramines will turn the water positive for ammonia. Even so, that is a pretty fast die off. Darn Neons can be real touchy sometimes. How long did you have them?

dont worry, i've ahd 4 neons dissapoear in like the space of 3 days
never found their bodies, rest in piece buddies, and they deffently ddin't get eaton none of my other fish are big enough, ..hmmm... off topic.
NEONS AREN'T ALL THAT HARDY!!!!!!!!!!
xx

wow strech, that's a real bumer.
Sorry to hear of your losses.

I would add stress coat to the water and let it sit for a few hours before you put it into the tank.

So sorry to hear about your losses. I use a python too and add the dechlorinator as soon as I start refilling the tank.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I'll get some more tomorrow. Just learn from mistakes and try again. :)

sorry for your loss but are you really sure it was the lack of stress coat that killed them?

chotie said:
sorry for your loss but are you really sure it was the lack of stress coat that killed them?

Well, I've done several water changes before and haven't killed any fish. That was the only thing I did different. Are you thinking it might have been something else? I tested the water and all the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates check out ok. I can't remember what the exact numbers were, though.

thing is, i have never EVER heard of death from LACK of stress coat. i myself dont even use any dechlor (though i should). i have acclimated 100+ fish and never lost one to that situation.

when i acclimate i do a w/c and dont use declor. i 50% daily and dont use declor. it just seems weird to me. do you know your tap params?

You do a 50% water change everyday? Is that necessary?

I don't remember what the parameters are on my tap water. I have the AP test kit, which tests do you want to know?

Back
Top Bottom