Doug's 105 rimless build and diary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And here I am pimping corals at MACNA in Atlantic City!
img_3154401_0_fae2968f260cfdcc64664cf196f90fc5.jpg

Do you even lift bro?? Why did you get out of the coral trade? Seems like you had a pretty good handle on it??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ahh....I got to hating the constant pulling of wild corals and fish from the ocean. I can't tell you how much livestock I sold in such a short time, and much of it to noobs that would kill everything and come back for more. It broke my heart.

Ahh....I got to hating the constant pulling of wild corals and fish from the ocean. I can't tell you how much livestock I sold in such a short time, and much of it to noobs that would kill everything and come back for more. It broke my heart.
Noble, id probably feel the same..well anyways.. look forward to seeing this build progress:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I always feel so guilty every time I lose a coral or fish , I can't help but wonder what I did or didn't do to cause it and what I can do to eliminate it in the future ,...I can only imagine watching some beautiful specimen leaving your shop knowing that it'll be dead within a few days and not really having the means or resources to change things., I would imagine that over time it could really get to you. I think we're all a little guilty though.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I couldn't stand it finally. 99.9% of my customers were great and listened and succeeded, but I had a few knuckleheads that killed fish and everything else wholesale. Always wanted a refund and insisted they kill the same type fish over and over again. I would bag the little guy up and hand him to somebody that I knew was gonna kill it. We also sold cats and dogs back in the day. There were several customers then that I refused to sell them to. I am pretty sure that's why I blow my top sometimes when I hear that same arrogant voice refusing to listen to those with real expertise. It infuriates me listening to somebody with no training or experience arguing with somebody that went to school and trained for their career while the know nothing goofed off, or worse "I read it on the Internet."

Doug and Dary are far calmer than I am, so I am trying to be more forgiving. We'll see how that goes...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
I couldn't stand it finally. 99.9% of my customers were great and listened and succeeded, but I had a few knuckleheads that killed fish and everything else wholesale. Always wanted a refund and insisted they kill the same type fish over and over again. I would bag the little guy up and hand him to somebody that I knew was gonna kill it. We also sold cats and dogs back in the day. There were several customers then that I refused to sell them to. I am pretty sure that's why I blow my top sometimes when I hear that same arrogant voice refusing to listen to those with real expertise. It infuriates me listening to somebody with no training or experience arguing with somebody that went to school and trained for their career while the know nothing goofed off, or worse "I read it on the Internet."

Doug and Dary are far calmer than I am, so I am trying to be more forgiving. We'll see how that goes...

Just 5 years ago I was a much more short tempered man. Thankfully, going through and learning how to manage a juvenile placement, motivational interviewing....all kinds of good stuff through my time I've learned how to keep from blowing my top. It really helps when I'm at my LFS and the 'new guy' starts talking to me about the cool favia that he was bagging up for me and that 'he really likes soft coral like that'. But you can't get everyone on your point of view that way. I oversee a counselor that tried to 'relate' to his supervisor by talking about the 20 gallon he tried to keep years ago and his tangs just never lived. I just laughed.

I am a communication engineer in public safety. So I have to try and be right the majority of the time. It's about critical thinking skills. While this type of thinking is what has given man kind his successes, the first step is learning how to evaluate information and to then discover the truth as best you can. You need a open mind, but have to have a good BS filter as the information now comes from sources you never heard of or met. Just like anything, the more you know and the longer you've practiced, the better chance your opinion has merit.

So, I sealed the floor today and also built the stand to hold the sumps...I'm done for the evening. I'm going to have a scotch or maybe a rum on the rocks and relax.....

img_3154777_0_84f7a4fe9167a43df1b2aff5104389ae.jpg

img_3154777_1_84fca9b552570a006df09271a23bdea1.jpg

You earned it ,... Put your feet up and relax ,... Looking good ! I might just join you with a splash of vino :)

Doug,

Loved seeing the "pictures from yesteryear". One question, is the tank labeled "grow out" a refugium? Just curious as I've seen no nomenclature like that before and you had a very extensive system. Pictures were awesome by the way and can't wait to see this latest build up and running.

How many elegance corals did you sell back in the day? Boy I saw a lot of them back then. It looks like you had a nice system going. How will you populate the new system? But then I remember your close enough to hit the big shows out east aren't you?

Doug,

Loved seeing the "pictures from yesteryear". One question, is the tank labeled "grow out" a refugium? Just curious as I've seen no nomenclature like that before and you had a very extensive system. Pictures were awesome by the way and can't wait to see this latest build up and running.

Growout was a term I used to simply increase my DT's colonies without overrunning my tank. In other words, I would break off pieces of corals that were getting too big and just toss them back there (it all shared the same water, and same parameters) and let them grow, basically unchecked. This is not to be confused with "frag tank" since that would be a tank with rows and rows of frags on plugs....I dunno....don't think too hard into it. It was a long time ago.
The refugium was down the bottom in that partitioned off 125.

How many elegance corals did you sell back in the day? Boy I saw a lot of them back then. It looks like you had a nice system going. How will you populate the new system? But then I remember your close enough to hit the big shows out east aren't you?

Yes, I used to sell a lot of elegance, but I tried to import mostly Aussie's since they have a much lower mortality rate. A few bucks more, but the customers didn't seem to mind. The problem was, they weren't quite as brilliant as the Indo ones.
I'm probably going to MACNA in Baltimore this year. I'l probably pick up a few things there. I'm ordering rock from the ocean, this much I'm sure of. I don't like the lack of hitch hikers that one sees (or doesn't see) from dry rock.
We do have a few stores close by and a close friend has a pretty big selection of sps, so with all of that, I should be ok.

The fish is another story- How much do you hate to pay 50-60 dollars for a yellow tang you know you can buy for 10? I'm thinking about a blue throat trigger, or perhaps a niger...what do you think the LFS is gonna charge me for those?
:(

Last edited:
I've seen Niger Triggers for $42 in my area. Blue Throats I think are a little pricier from what I've seen. Going to my lfs today. If they still have the one they had last week I see what they are getting.

On another note, I picked up a Gold Assessor a couple of weeks ago. What a cool fish!

Didn't do much since the last update except for drilling the tank. I put a single 24" overflow box dead center on the back pane. Coming over the top with one or two returns. I'll be relocating the sumps tomorrow if the weather keeps me home from work.

One thing I should mention- the tank sat in my garage up until now, and when I brought it inside, I noticed some hairline cracks in the epoxy resin coating. These were prominent enough that when you run your fingernail across them, you can feel them. I am not feeling ultra tingly about this, so I decided to glue in a solid sheet of FRP wall board over the resin coating. I think I'll sleep better knowing there's another line of defense....just in case ;)
img_3160409_0_c9c6f4a8b876725f9d70ab709e20a956.jpg

Very cool so far. Can't wait to see the end result.

I just saw the trigger posts...Niger Triggers are probably $30-40 and Blue Jaws are probably $40+. In my area, everything is way more than an hour away. I just got a Blue Jaw for $35 near LAX, but they are twice that at my LFS. I'd say get a pair.

Back
Top Bottom