Doug's 105 rimless build and diary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Doug, I gotta say I don't like the way it's coming out. You've got it all wrong. You're supposed to build this thing over at my living room.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, that pile in the back ground is remnants of the rehab of an entire house. It's definitely a thorn in my side when I think about it, but it's been real easy to just shut the door....]

Lmao Yep ,...that was the same philosophy that I had ,... hours of tedious labor or 3 seconds to close the door and grab a cold one

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Messes, like taxes just never go away. I am a really good builder of "things" but a real pig while doing it.

I don't drink, so I don't even have that as a release.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well, 100 pounds of Fiji, and 100 pounds of Totoka rock is ordered. I should have it by Wednesday ;)

I really like the look of the totoka rock. If I was gonna start all over I would definitely consider that rock. Mine is all mostly heavy lace rock (lime stone). I got it very cheap at the time and it looked good. Can't wait to see this tank come together Doug. Looks like you are gonna have your rockscaping cut out for you! Good luck!

What made you want the totoka?
It's not terribly common.
Diversity, mainly.
I like the look of it too. Totoka is a bit dense though. I already have about 150 pounds throughout the system, so I should have a pretty open looking scape.

Ugh...this rock sucks! It's mostly small pieces and a few dense boulders. Nothing you would want to build an aquascape with. Now I've got to think of something.
It's in the tank now, cycling, but I'll probably sump most of it :(

I feel your disappointment buddy .... !!! I hate when stuff like that happens , hopefully, you didn't spend too much on it.

Last edited:
Ugh...this rock sucks! It's mostly small pieces and a few dense boulders. Nothing you would want to build an aquascape with. Now I've got to think of something.
It's in the tank now, cycling, but I'll probably sump most of it :(
That sucks, sorry to hear that man.

Not too much. 2 bucks a pound shipped. It's principle though....Out of 4 boxes there should have been some larger pieces. Yes, if you are buying retail, I can understand getting a variety, but the odds of getting all nano rock by chance are slim.

Not too much. 2 bucks a pound shipped. It's principle though....Out of 4 boxes there should have been some larger pieces. Yes, if you are buying retail, I can understand getting a variety, but the odds of getting all nano rock by chance are slim.

Yep, odds weren't in your favor I guess. You could always drill the rocks and make a skeletal structure using PVC to get some arches and what not. That is a big tank though and I understand the want for large rick pieces.

Nothing to drill really. I may be able to attach them with some 2 part putty, but that's a lot of putty!
I do have the rock from the 105, and it's totally encrusted with coral. What I'm thinking is to cycle the tank and the new rock, then take most of it out and sump it, except for a few pieces, and mix that with the 105's rock. It should be fine.

Nothing to drill really. I may be able to attach them with some 2 part putty, but that's a lot of putty!
I do have the rock from the 105, and it's totally encrusted with coral. What I'm thinking is to cycle the tank and the new rock, then take most of it out and sump it, except for a few pieces, and mix that with the 105's rock. It should be fine.

Sounds like a plan. (y)

Why didn't you go with the quarried rock and just let it seed itself? As you have found, the live rock being shipped in isn't very nice now a days. I like the quarried stuff as its full of holes and you can easily get big pieces.

I enjoy the hitch hikers. Good or bad, I love to see fascinating critters pop up after a month, or a year even...

Back
Top Bottom