Doug's 105 rimless build and diary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, that can either be cool, or a nightmare. I prefer to eliminate the risk for the reward. Thats just me. I started this reef 20 years ago with Fiji rock, which at the time was deluxe rock. Lots of stuff hanging onto it, none of which is still present in the tank. I had a huge initial cycle as about half of the life on the rock died in the new artificial saltwater.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I kinda like the idea of finding strange new critters in the rocks I've used also ,... Sometimes you get a little lucky and sometimes maybe not but to me it's all part of a living reef ,... Kinda like my " coral crab" that Doug ID'd awhile back never saw him coming but one day there he is ,.... Now I keep tabs on him all the time !... I'm sure Douglas will come out smelling like a rose with all his reef connections ,... As with many others here I'm following along and waiting to read chapter two

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Critters like that sure are cool. I really was surprised by the elephant slug that eventually showed up in my reef a year after set up. Cool stuff.

I've seen one of those before at my old LFS. It was pretty cool, solid black. I spotted I in one of their tanks they didn't know they had it. Nobody knew what it was. Are those things reef safe? And do you still have it?

I have rarely seen any detrimental critters in ocean rock. Occasionally predatory worms, but IME, they can be outsmarted and captured fairly easily. I'm not talking Florida rock here, which is loaded with predators. I will probably end up buying a few pieces of dry stuff from the store down the street though, to make some taller structures.
I'll tell ya though....no raw shrimp needed here- you should see all the dead crabs floating around in the tank. Kinda sad really.

Would love her to hitchhike into my tank rofl!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So, on my roughly 5 year old API test kits I'm getting .25 ammonia, .25 nitrite, and 160+ppm nitrate. Hmmmm....

Oh...I would imagine so, though there is no expiration date. Not to mention they were in my unheated garage for 4 years.

Yeah, I know not to trust them. Heck, I don't trust them right out of the store! Looks like i will have to buy some new ones....

Since I use these three test kits only during a tank build, do you still recommend buying Hanna checkers? I think I'd rather spend that money on rock or sand.....

I don't think Hanna's nitrate test is for salt, though their nitrite might be...but either way, the cycle doesn't need such exacts. Go Hanna for alk and phosphates IMO later on.

They do not make a inexpensive nitrate test, but do have a nitrite test. I love the P4, alk and cal test units. I wouldn't use anything else as color matching is so inexact.

But if you never check anything, maybe you could borrow some.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom