Doug's 105 rimless build and diary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would think that if they are only being used for tank builds, API would be fine. I think they started putting expiration dates on the more recent kits. I bought the Ammonia for starting up my two son's tanks and it was good through late 2016, if I recall correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes they did start puting expiration dates on their test kits.

So, I needed a larger skimmer for this system. Currently I have a BM180 EX, and even though I have no complaints about it, I'd like something more powerful. The problem is, the skimmers I'm looking at are upwards of 700 bucks. I can't rationalize spending that.
I have decided to keep my current skimmer and just double up. Since they don't make the 180ex any more I went with a Seaside Aquatics CS9 skimmer (Sicce PSK1200).
I have plenty of room in the sump for these two.

I use two skimmers and believe there are advantages to running two rather than one big one.

What advantages?
Meanwhile, A friend and I threw up a few pieces of trim and added 220 pounds of sand. I went with live and tried to stir the bags up as little as possible, but I still managed to cloud the tank up pretty good.....
img_3177809_0_e5e64734862be562baadf9daec7d679b.jpg

So, taking a poll here... stain the trim dark to match the floor, or paint it white to match the trim?
Originally I was going to paint the trim white and the door green to match the walls, but I didn't think I was going to be using 1x6 as trim.

I'd say white if it's within a few feet of any other white trim.... If it's floating in the center of the wall, then stain to match floor.

I run an ASM-G3+, which I know is too small for your system, but they have a G4xx that goes for <$500. I have a G1 on my 90. Both have been flawless and not needed adjustment since the initial break in.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My vote would be to stain it to match the floor ... I think it would be a nice contrast and would tie everything together as a unit and overall just look better ,... But no matter what you choose I'm sure the tank will be sweet

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Dary, I'm going to replace the floor eventually. It's laminate right now that got ruined by a tank related spill a while ago. If I remove the area rug you can practically stub your toe on the buckled panels. I'm going to go with the tile that looks like hardwood, but haven't picked a color/style yet. Not to mention I don't have the cash or motivation to tackle it right now....
The way I figure, I can probably paint over stain, but I can't stain over paint.

As for the skimmer, I used to run an ASM G4x on an old system and had no complaints with it, but I'm already locked into the SSA skimmer. The Sedra pumps they use are very good, but so are the Sicce pumps ;)

Update. I think this is how I'm going to leave it (not the aquascape...but the wall)....
img_3181175_0_087f5588465eb40a60ab345f2ece7f7e.jpg

img_3181175_1_b8431a099b06b239add0dff7dd16e65c.jpg

Nitrates are still pretty high. I've been changing out water but it's only making small improvements. A few more water changes before I can add my livestock. I'm getting anxious....I can't wait to get this 105 out of the room!
I don't know if you can see it well from the picture, but dead center of the 105, at the top of the rock, I lost a pretty nice Valida colony that I grew from a frag. Low alk, as usual.

I like to keep it just above 7, but it was barely 6 when I tested it. I've been so wrapped up with other things I've been skipping it. The system was normally using 20ml a day, but now it's got much less water volume, rock, and corals. I don't even know what this tank alone is using. I was doing weekly water changes hoping it would keep things ok until I got the move squared away, but I see this is not working.

So, I needed a larger skimmer for this system. Currently I have a BM180 EX, and even though I have no complaints about it, I'd like something more powerful. The problem is, the skimmers I'm looking at are upwards of 700 bucks. I can't rationalize spending that.
I have decided to keep my current skimmer and just double up. Since they don't make the 180ex any more I went with a Seaside Aquatics CS9 skimmer (Sicce PSK1200).
I have plenty of room in the sump for these two.

considering that your filtration is in a separate room out of sight, why not just build yourself a mammoth skimmer?
the technology is brain dead simple and can be done numerous ways, some ways are a helluva lot better than what can be purchased.
I made one using 3" PCV, it stands about 4' tall, is air powered and I incorporated a DIY media reactor into it so the effluent from the bio-pellets is fed directly into the skimmer and it also acts to recirculate the water through the skimmer.
Not the prettiest thing, but judging by the skimmate output and dry quality of the foam in comparison to extortionately priced "professional" ones, mine equals or surpasses them. It has an almost constant plume of "beer foam" being produced.
Having the tall column of water increases the contact time and the amount of junk that can be pulled out. You need about 2 minutes of bubble/water contact time to extract the most nastiness out of solution.

You have the room to build a much better one than you could buy and you could do it for a lot less $$$. (y)

Eh....I'm not into it. First off, I already have the 2 skimmers here, so It's late to build one. Secondly, if I ever break down the system I do have something to sell to recoup some of the cash I put out (you know it's going to be hard to sell a DIY skimmer, especially one that's not pretty...). If I had an acrylic shop or something, maybe...but at this point, I just want to be over this hurdle.
I still have my business license and get things for people from time to time so I get a considerable discount from suppliers. I don't think I did bad with the skimmer.
Do you use a needle wheel pump with venturi?

Eh....I'm not into it. First off, I already have the 2 skimmers here, so It's late to build one. Secondly, if I ever break down the system I do have something to sell to recoup some of the cash I put out (you know it's going to be hard to sell a DIY skimmer, especially one that's not pretty...). If I had an acrylic shop or something, maybe...but at this point, I just want to be over this hurdle.
I still have my business license and get things for people from time to time so I get a considerable discount from suppliers. I don't think I did bad with the skimmer.
Do you use a needle wheel pump with venturi?

nope, 100% air driven. Using a Coralife Luft pump and limewood airstones.
so far so it's working great.

I like the look of the "picture frame" presentation of the display, but maybe if the color of the upper half was different than the walls it would look better.
to me it just looks odd or "broken" for lack of a better description having that section the same color as the walls. If there wasn't any frame it would be fine, but with the frame it looks "off", IMHO.
Maybe a picture of a reef taken at water level so it looks like a transition from the picture to the tank.
you know, water, beach, shoreline in the pic and blending into your display.

just an idea.

I fear if I had a room to dedicate to filtration and all I would go nuts and the wife would leave me.....

being a little envious right now.....:whistle:

For large tanks, a fish room is deluxe. My back aches whenever I think about servicing a filter under a tank.

Thanks Paul.

PB- I was going to put some ornate trim around the door, but I'm thinking simple is best. That's why I didn't use a router on the edges or anything fancy.
Once it's filled with life and lit no one is going to be focusing on the door anyway ;)

Greg- Do you believe I was originally going to put this beast in front of the wall and not in it? What the hell was I thinking?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom