Doug's 105 rimless build and diary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, It's been a little while since the catastrophic incident, and my friend was breaking down his tank and wanted to rehome his fish. I explained to him the risks, and he still felt they had at least as good a chance with me as a craigslist ad. His stipulation was to take all the livestock and rock at one time. He just got his residency and was looking forward to 80+ hour weeks for the next hundred years so, he felt he didn't have the time for the tank.
The fish and 150 pounds of rock were no charge, but I did bring him a case of St. Bernardus ABT 12, that ran me $120.00....
So, what I got besides the 150 pounds of rock-

a 10" Naso tang (counting streamers)
a 4" blue throat trigger
a large long nose hawk
a large pair of percula clowns
a large 3 stripe damsel
a medium 6 line wrasse
a 4" yellow tang
a 3" coral beauty angel
a matted filefish (who likes to eat coral)
and 3 of the biggest blue/green chromis I have ever seen.

My friend Chris and I took the ride Saturday afternoon and picked everything up. The rock fit in 7 six gallon buckets and a medium cooler, and the fish fit in another medium cooler.
I gave Chris the yellow tang, since I already have one and also the coral beauty, since I have the flame angel. I also gave him about 25 pounds of rock.

The fish and rock went into my system, all at once, with no QT. I told my friend that this is the way I would do it, and I would not be able to catch them if something bad was to happen, and he agreed.
So, say a prayer to King Neptune that these guys all do well in my tank, and the filefish stops eating my corals!
img_3234741_0_08908f13067eabdc33d7cf0dd70226e1.jpg

img_3234741_1_12753120199d9a8d5a5e6a81c8c26c22.jpg

img_3234741_2_cd15d12cf40073281dde538440c56596.jpg

img_3234741_3_85635b071b35b006f0187a8b3a1ab142.jpg

img_3234741_4_16974260c53f45d005184a0e598b341d.jpg

Wow !!! That's quite a maneuver ,.... It's going to be really interesting to hear all your upcoming reports ,... Fingers crossed that there's no hiccups

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Gorgeous fish! I hope all goes well for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love the long nose hawk fish ,... How's your skimmer situation ? Your bio load just went up 10 fold ,...., beautiful acquisitions , beautiful tank !

I have 2 massive refugiums. Two 50 gallon stock tanks full of algae, about 400 pounds of rock, and the CS9 skimmer at the moment. I have about 6 gallon ziplocks full of algae filtering this water.

I figured you had it covered ....., we're all just jealous !!!!

Great score Doug. Huge fan of Nasos and Blue Throats. Hope all goes well for you.

Since they were long term residents of your friends tank, they are well acclimated to artificial sea water and food sources. They have a very high rate of survival I have found when inheriting local fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree, however, are the eye flukes gone? Can the yellow tang and flame angel be carriers of these parasites with no symptoms?

I agree, however, are the eye flukes gone? Can the yellow tang and flame angel be carriers of these parasites with no symptoms?
Actually it is a possibility.
Marine ich (cryptocaryon) is just one disease that is KNOWN to be carried in some of the fish that have been cured .
I'm interested to see how this turns out!

That Naso looks awesome!! What powerheads are you using for flow in there? That hawkfish is really gorgeous too!

Back
Top Bottom