Doug's 105 rimless build and diary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
maybe they think since I don't order from them like I used to, that I'm just a small fry and won't be missed, or perhaps they stiff everyone with infested livestock and it's up to the retailer to dip, quarantine, etc. Either way, there are other suppliers I can deal with. Sad for the critters though.
The scoly guy won't be getting any more of my money. I should have known better when I saw just the actinics on in the middle of the day, but I just assumed his sleep schedule was different than mine.

Here is my local buddy that I get almost everything coral/fish from. Never had a problem from anything I got from him. He is FINALLY in the process of opening his own brick & mortar. He might have some things you are looking for.

https://www.facebook.com/BAMReptilesandAquaria

Just some randoms....here you can barely see the caps on the overflow that have been growing nicely since I added the 5000k led spotlight

img_3229161_0_3ada21a205952131d5ac5f8b7f5a4345.jpg

And here's my favorite wild colony (sorry..just a zoomed in pic from the photo above, so it's a bit blurry...)
img_3229161_1_606235abaa20b29bd18a54781ee1397b.jpg

This anemone is now about 10" across...
img_3229161_2_389e94f64046f91edadb20d77015badb.jpg

Just a purple tipped frogspawn-
img_3229161_3_2b238de8fe7f2dd92b4b8d5594a0f7dc.jpg

I added 5 blue green chromis to see if the coast is clear. After 3 days I have 3 left and one has a big bruise on it's side. I'm not sure this is from the flukes though, but I see no aggression out of the yellow tang or the flame angel, and these fish sleep at the top at night, so I'm insure the cause of their demise as of yet...

Nice healthy looking corals ,... Fingers crossed on the fish !

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Great corals Doug. Been my experience that Chromis are pretty fragile. My lfs owner says its generally because of how they are collected. Do not if that is the case, but I've never been able to keep them alive.

Corals look great! That wild colony of yours is nice! Montis and frogspawn look healthy as well! Good luck on the fish. I know chromis like to pick each other off sometimes anyways.

I have a stable population of 14. They have a tiny gut and need to be fed at least once a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They are getting wounds on their sides before they go off on their own and die....I see the wounds and know which is next. Only 2 left now....I'm gonna try damsels next. they won't take that crap from ...whomever.

So have you found the culprit causing the wounds yet ?

Maybe they've been picking each other off? I've seen a few members here deal with that problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't see any redness on any fish, nor inflammation. Mouths gaping, breathing heavily, slimy heads (almost resembling the skin just peeling off and blowing away), cloudy eyes, and apparent blindness towards the very end. Some of the fish turned a pale gray/almost white towards the end as well. One thing is for certain...it wasn't a peaceful death.
Have you investigated Brooklynella?
http://www.fishvet.com/Brooklynella.pdf
This link mentioned "sloughing of skin" and I remembered this post about skin peeling/blowing away?

Yes, I had considered that, but when the SDC rep told me "it sounds like skin flukes" and then I see posts like the one from LA Fish Guys that I linked on the previous page, I'm convinced they knew they had a problem and continued to sell fish anyway.

Back
Top Bottom