Dragon goby problem (keep him or give him away)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corster

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 1 dragon goby. 9 barbs 2 gold gourmis and 1 snakeskin gourmi 1 flying fox and 2 plecos also 1 catfish. The barbs nip at my dragon gobys rear fin. Although it seems to stay at the same lanth of damage (about 1 mm). I feed him at night. I don't think that my tank is what he was ment for. Plus adding salt to my tank doesn't help my live plants. Do you think I should give him away? If I give him back to the pet store, who knows what kind of fish tank he will end up in. I know I take care of him and make sure he gets food, but I don't like to see him hiding most of the time (not at night). What would you do?

It sounds like you really care about this fish, but at the same time you know that your setup is not exactly ideal for it. :( For that reason, I'd have to recommend that you find the fish a new home. As I understand it, the dragon goby is actually a brackish water fish (might be wrong about that), so you would need to add marine salt and not just aquarium salt. Your other fish wouldn't appreciate that too much, and your plants would die.

Why not list the fish here in the barter/trade or classifieds forum? Or, you could try Craigslist.org, maybe someone would take him off your hands there. Good luck.

What kind of salt are you dosing? Unless its Marine salt, don't bother with salting, aquarium salt is not what he needs.

Barbs are, putting it nicely, jerks. Some people love them though, I'd get rid of them.

If your still considering getting rid of the dragon, you could donate him to an lfs, and ask that they only give/sell him to someone who has a large aquarium (as Dragon Goby's get 2 feet long)

Violet gobies (dragon gob) are brackish water fish and like a higher pH around 8. They wont survive long term in a purely fw environment. They start to develop problems and then die. If you want to keep it I would suggest getting a seperate aquarium and adding marine salt like said. You could get mollies and acclimate them with the goby to brackish as they will do well.

Dragon gobies start OK in fresh but need a change to brackish as they mature , that stopped me from getting one .

Back
Top Bottom