Dry ferts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought I saw that CSM+B had that problem but was stored with access to sunlight. I have not had that problem but one bottle last less than a month.

I also remember, but may be wrong, that they had problems when mixing all in one bottle.

Do you mean when mixing macros and micros? I was going to do the CSM+B in one, and the other 4 in the other. Because The CSM+B is Macro and the others are micros. The bottles will be in a dark cabinet anyway.

edit, actually I will mix the CSM+B and the Mgso4 in one, and the rest in the other.

You can mix some Excel in with the micro mix to stop unwanted growth in the micro container. Try to use DI water if you can.

You can also get MgSO4 fron Epsom salt ( actually MgSO4-7 H2O).

aqua_chem said:
You can mix some Excel in with the micro mix to stop unwanted growth in the micro container. Try to use DI water if you can.

Cool trick.

So, just grind up the Epsom salt and dose the same amount as the MgSO4 or is there some math involved?

aqua_chem said:

Doesn't excel kill certain plants though?

The best answer that we can come up with for that is that it might kill some plants. It's usually best to research it first to see if it will affect you. I personally think that the negative effects on plants is often overblown, and probably used as a scapegoat for bad husbandry practices, but who knows. And really, if you dilute it by 1-2 tbs in 1 L, your probably going to be dosing well below recommended levels.

As far as math goes, you can use a different fert calculator that compensates for it. This one is my favorite:

Yet Another Nutrient Calculator

The best answer that we can come up with for that is that it might kill some plants. It's usually best to research it first to see if it will affect you. I personally think that the negative effects on plants is often overblown, and probably used as a scapegoat for bad husbandry practices, but who knows. And really, if you dilute it by 1-2 tbs in 1 L, your probably going to be dosing well below recommended levels.

As far as math goes, you can use a different fert calculator that compensates for it. This one is my favorite:

Yet Another Nutrient Calculator

Okay. I will add some excel in the mix. I have some just sitting around.
I was kinda onfused by the calculator you linked also

I plan on ordering tonight. Here is what I have. I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
Micro
MgSO4-
Plantex CSM + Boron
Macro
K2SO4-
KH2PO4-

Should I add calcium sulfate, or anything calcium?

My handy dandy little solution calculator only calculates MgSO4, K2SO4, and KH2PO4, and trace elements. How would I know how much Plantex CSM to add (and possible calcium sulfate?)

Thanks

Edit-should the MgSO4 be added with the micro or macro? It's a micro according to green leaf aquariums, but I've read forums online and all have added it with the macro.

Back
Top Bottom