dwarf gourami under the filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

extremebunny

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 10g community tank and one of my fish, a dwarf gourami named bob, has been spending most of his time just staying underneath the filter where the water comes out. When he's not there, he's in the corner. Are dwarf gouramis just naturally slower fish or is this the start of some kind of sickness? I know he does have ich to some extent, but the water temperature has been raised and the tank has been medicated with kordon's copper aid which made one of my other fish a lot better. Is it normal for him to stay in one place so much or should he be swimming around more?

How fast is the water coming out of the filter? Gouramis tend to not enjoy fast currents, so he may be trying to get a break from it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't think it's too fast? the part where the water comes out is below the water line so there's no splash. maybe its the bubbler? the last time he swam was when i turned it off but i want to keep the oxygen in the water and when i first got it he seemed to be fine.

Dwarf gourami are definitely not generally slow fish. They love racing. 10 gallons is probably too small.

Our dwarf gourami tends to hang out just above the CO2 diffuser. I think sometimes the movement might feel good.

Loving to race and loving currents are two different things, and while some fish may be 'oddballs' from typical behavior, most aren't. Being anabantoids, they come from slower moving water.

Just because the filter isn't showing splash doesn't mean that there isn't a current, it just isn't visible. Trying shutting off the filter for a little (like 15 minutes) and see if he comes out more. If he does, you may need to baffle the output slightly. If he doesn't, he may be sick.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I tried turning the bubbler off first since that is less important then the filter and he is swimming around more. If he goes back to the corner I will try turning off the filter.

I see what you mean about racing. He does like to go fast. Problem is, his idea of racing is chasing around the other fish in my tank and trying to bite their tails. He has not caught any yet because my small fish can gain speed faster in that size tank, and I don't know if he is just playing or trying to hurt them.

You shouldn't need bubbles if your tank is properly stocked. The filter should move enough water. In such a small tank you have 2 different currents going which may be distressing to your Gourami. I haven't used bubbles in 20 years. Most planted tanks avoid them except at night to off gas if they use injected CO2.

I have filters at both ends of my 55g but there is quiet water in the middle which my Pearl Gourami appreciates.

IMG_2568.jpg

I don't think it needs a bubbler, but most of the fish don't seem to mind it. I was also putting medication in the water a few weeks ago for ich and raising the temperature which they say it's better for them if there's more oxygen when you medicate. When I changed the water earlier today I moved the bubbler off to the side of the tank which leaves a lot more still water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom