Dwarf gouramis dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zorcher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 38 gallon aquarium that has been set up for 1 year. It is stocked with 5 minor tetras, 1 swordtail, 3 cory cats, 1 blue ram, and 1 silver dollar. I also had 1 dwarf gourami.

I had had the dwarf gourami for approximately six months when he died overnight. I did not notice any signs of sickness or stress. I absolutely love how the fish looked, so I immediately bought a second one to replace the one that died. The second one appeared lethargic, and died within 3 days. I thought maybe it was just bad luck, so I bought a third dwarf gourami from a different store. He died in two days.

I am not into killing fish, so I will not be getting any more. I would, however, love some intelligent advice on this issue as I have only had the aquarium for 1 year and am interested in gaining wisdom / knowledge. Do I have an underlying problem with my aquarium that I did not know about?

My water readings are always: 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5ppm nitrates, pH 8.0. I change approx. 25% of the water each week, and the numbers never fluctuate. The temperature stays at approx. 79 to 81 degrees. All my other fish are perfectly healthy. I know the pH is a little high, but all the other fish adjust well to it. I also know that I was pushing the limits on overstocking, but because my numbers don't fluctuate, I figured I was still okay.

Any intelligent input would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom