Dwarf Hairgrass Carpet / Mat for 10 Gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janky

Aquarium Advice Freak
Like the topic says I'm looking to lay dwarf hairgrass as a carpet in my 10 gal.
I am currently running DIY CO2 and a Coralife T5 HO 24 inch (I know, it's a little "overkill" lol)
I will use flourish as a liquid fert, and I am too poor/un-knowledgeable to buy a big ol CO2 tank and set it up on my kitchen counter (which my gf would kill me for btw)

Is this feasible? Or am I not going to be able to do this with my setup?

Also, does anyone have experience with the pre-made mats you can order online? How many would I need for the 10 gal? I was thinking of ordering 2...

Any input/advice is greatly appreciated - i'm here to learn! :D

When I was looking for dwarf hairgrass it was about $40 for a small mat lol.
I would think it'd be fine with just moderate light. Maybe some ferts or tabs to help.
If you just bought one or two and made a carpet it might take awhile.

DIY CO2 might be hard pressed to keep up with T5HO in a 10g. You might need more than one 2L to keep up with it.

When I was looking for dwarf hairgrass it was about $40 for a small mat lol.
I would think it'd be fine with just moderate light. Maybe some ferts or tabs to help.
If you just bought one or two and made a carpet it might take awhile.

Yeah. aquariumplants is like $40 after shipping... I have a lfs that said they could order it for me though, so I doubt it'd be that much. They're usually pretty good about pricing.
I've been using that flourish liquid fert... I guess I could get those root tabs and figure out how to use them (sorry, totally new to this)

DIY CO2 might be hard pressed to keep up with T5HO in a 10g. You might need more than one 2L to keep up with it.

hmmm.. ok
Is there a better option for small/nano CO2 that is cheap/space-conscious?
The tank is in our kitchen so a big old CO2 tank is definitely a no go.

I think I remember someone mentioning something about a "paintball CO2 setup" - I dont remember if that was you or not...?

If I can do it cheap/small I'm all in :D

I am currently reevaluating my opinion on paintball CO2 methods pending better information. There's been some reports of them blowing holes in tanks, although those cases are mostly caused by user error. There is some very good discussion on ThePlantedTank regarding paintball CO2, which I'm sure you could find very easily with a well worded google search.

Root tabs are not complex. Just buy them and pop them under the plants you want. I'm using RootMedic right now. I tried some other ones before from my lfs but they were tiny and fell apart really easily.

Back
Top Bottom