Easiest carpet plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cherokeeluvr

Aquarium Advice Addict
What are the easiest carpet plants? I have a 10 gallon that I want a carpet for. I have diy co2 and 2 10,000k plant fluorescent bulbs! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Dwarf sag is pretty easy too.

Some people also lay water sprite sideways and instead of growing straight up from the end like normal the side shoots grow upwards. Depending what look you are looking for there are lots of plants that could work

With misses you will most likely need mesh. I would avoid dwarf hair grass as it needs high light

Lobelia cardinalis, but it gets taller than most. Trim tops and plant to keep short and increase carpet density. Very low maintenance otherwise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't really want to do Java moss because I don't want to do the mats... I have dwarf sag in one corner already. I was going to let it carpet half of the tank. Do you guys know anything about Pygmy chain sword? I like the look of that!

I had a really hard time with it. Medium light with ferts but it might have been someone in the tank eating it too :/

Have you heard of marsilea minute? I like how it looks!

Yeah! It's cool looking. I know it has another name too but I can't remember. You can always post on here someone might have it for cheap or just cost of shipping

Maybe glosso? I think they look the same.. I just found some on here. Is it easy to grow?

Would 2 10,000k bulbs and diy co2 be enough for it? I wish plants would do well without co2 :(

Would 2 10,000k bulbs and diy co2 be enough for it? I wish plants would do well without co2 :(

Personally, Im in the process of building a tanked CO2 rig, so im not familiar/in-tune with the DIY systems. However, I would assume not.

Glosso requires 3+ watts per gallon of light, and CO2 at 20-30 ppm MINIMUM. If you can get the lighting up to 3ish wpg and the proper CO2 from the DIY system, id say why not try it?

How much does a co2 system for a 10 gallon generally cost?

How much does a co2 system for a 10 gallon generally cost?

You have it easy with a smaller tank. Fluval make CO2 systems that includes everything you need. They are generally only for < 40 Gal.

You can check them out here. I don't have any experience with this product but the review of the larger model seem promising. Hope that helps!

Ive read some people with low-med lights and no co2 able to grow glosso OK. It just won't be as lush nor would it spread very quickly.

Ive read some people with low-med lights and no co2 able to grow glosso OK. It just won't be as lush nor would it spread very quickly.

Yeah, if youre looking to have a "mat" effect, youll need alot of light for it to spread. Again, just try it and see what happens.

I've looked at them before and they have a lot of bad reviews.. It's about half and half of good and bad...

Glosso Is a pita, you'd be better with dwarf baby tears. It can carpet with med light, takes a bit to root it nicely. For co2 consider a aquatek mini with paintball tank. Thise fluval kits are more trouble than they're worth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom