Ebay deals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What's up everyone! So recently I bid on a 50 gallon tank with a stand and a filter I'm pretty sure I'm gonna win the bid for $81. Does anyone think it could be a scam? It's a local pickup.

So I've been looking to get fish from EBay too. Does anyone think it's a bad idea to get fish from there?

I've never bought anything to do with fish off eBay. If it's a local seller it might be a good deal. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck

As long as you have the option to back out of the deal after you have inspected the rig and have personally seen it hold water I see no issue. I would not purchase it on the seller's word alone.

blert said:
As long as you have the option to back out of the deal after you have inspected the rig and have personally seen it hold water I see no issue. I would not purchase it on the seller's word alone.

That's great advice! Well should I ask the seller to fill up the tank when we pick it up

Yes, if they refuse then back out because it probably leaks.
Also, have them run the filter on the filled tank so you can see it works. If it is a canister make sure to check for leaks. Let it run for a few minutes and check it, then unplug it and let it sit for a few minutes and check it again (MarineLand C-series canisters will sometimes not leak until you turn them off, it's a problem with the valve assembly).

I just bought some gbr and some Pygmy cories and peacock gudgeons off eBay! The transactions werE quick and all the fish are very active and colorful. I have also bought all my tanks except for one off Craigslist!!

blert said:
Yes, if they refuse then back out because it probably leaks.
Also, have them run the filter on the filled tank so you can see it works. If it is a canister make sure to check for leaks. Let it run for a few minutes and check it, then unplug it and let it sit for a few minutes and check it again (MarineLand C-series canisters will sometimes not leak until you turn them off, it's a problem with the valve assembly).

K I'm lovin this advice!

How's Craigslist worked out for you?
I've had good luck when buying tanks off CL. I make sure they are up and running. I first check for any leaks and the filter real good. I've never had a problem that way. If they are not up and running, I have them fill the tank and check it and run the filters. Some I pass on if their rugged, scratched, loose trim, lifting seals, hoods messed up and so on.

hcourts said:
I just bought some gbr and some Pygmy cories and peacock gudgeons off eBay! The transactions werE quick and all the fish are very active and colorful. I have also bought all my tanks except for one off Craigslist!!

Wow! What were the price ranges of your tanks?

I got my 55 with stand and everything for 150. I upgraded filters and lights though. I plan get another big tank from there after we buy a house. I got my 20g high for 30 bucks with everything!!

hcourts said:
I got my 55 with stand and everything for 150. I upgraded filters and lights though. I plan get another big tank from there after we buy a house. I got my 20g high for 30 bucks with everything!!

Holy!!! That's so sick. Just a question... What is the purpose of upgrading lights. Is it a planted?

hcourts said:

Same for me! Bought my ten new but got the other seventeen off Craigslist for a grand total of
8-10 dollars apiece plus filters, lights, hoods, glass and plastic covers, media, and gravel

emerald76 said:
Same for me! Bought my ten new but got the other seventeen off Craigslist for a grand total of
8-10 dollars apiece plus filters, lights, hoods, glass and plastic covers, media, and gravel

Wait you got all those fish for that much? That's awesome. I'm thinking of getting some Bolivian rams myself, they're really good looking fish!!

AaronW said:
Wait you got all those fish for that much? That's awesome. I'm thinking of getting some Bolivian rams myself, they're really good looking fish!!

Oh no thats just tanks I've never bought fish online

hcourts said:
Yes Aaron it is a planted tank!! I kept the old one to use as a back up!!
Good buys emerald!!

Thanks! Lol I'm trying to decide what each one will be used for in my fishroom

Back
Top Bottom