eel with african cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sad... Sad... News everyone :(

Went to go check on the tank and the eels face was outside my tank!! In the back by the filter!! I have AC 110's so you can picture right where the flow comes into the tank his face was outside! Where you would cut a piece of the plastic from the canopy. I looked in the tank and saw his tail in the current, looked behind this canopy thing I now have which took more then ever to remove I found eely's faca hanging over the side of the tank!! :(

I thought maybe he was just caught up and needed to be freed but then I saw it! I saw the devastating results of what my Africans have done to him while being caught up. They tore him up. Are my guys that aggressive? Is this all normal? If I put my hand in there it's a frenzy!! I love this guys and I'm not gonna get rid of them but I guess nothing lasts with them!! Only one thing has made it and those are giant danios.

But then I see a tank a much smaller tank with convicts, JD's, FM's, 5 red eye tetras and 10 tiger barbs.

Dreamingdragon said:
That,s really sad man. Cruelty guys you have in your tank dang. Poor eely. So so sad.

Yeah I'm really upset!! I would never get another one either! Wouldn't wanna put another eel through that! My guys are tough!!

Sharkbait54 said:
Are they both dead or just one?

Just the one. The big guy that was getting picked up. The smaller guy is going about his business swimming right past the nastiest of my guys with him batting a fin!

Ya that just sucks. Okay, i dont think it would be good to put in any more fish unless they are africans.... Nothing is compatible with those vicious fish

So bummed out for you and your eel. :( I know you're trying not to overfeed your guys. But do you think they might be really hungry to go into such a frenzy?

Hholly said:
So bummed out for you and your eel. :( I know you're trying not to overfeed your guys. But do you think they might be really hungry to go into such a frenzy?

I dunno. I feed them a good portion and monitor them while feeding. Maybe feed everyday? Who knows.... Who knows.... These guys kill everything! Even each other. I'm currently keeping an eye on one guy who doesn't look so good. But it's so hard to net these guys especially in my set up! Ya can't just start moving things.

I dunno. I feed them a good portion and monitor them while feeding. Maybe feed everyday? Who knows.... Who knows.... These guys kill everything! Even each other. I'm currently keeping an eye on one guy who doesn't look so good. But it's so hard to net these guys especially in my set up! Ya can't just start moving things.

man I feed mine a little bit twice a day to keep the aggression down and so far haven't had casualties adding new tank mates. you may want to switch up your feeding schedules. I feed everyday when I get up in the morning and after the GF and I are finished with dinner(usually those times are 7am & 7pm) it keeps them happy & they still are ALWAYS looking for food. but not TOO much aggression even from the mating pair.

NyteGTI said:
man I feed mine a little bit twice a day to keep the aggression down and so far haven't had casualties adding new tank mates. you may want to switch up your feeding schedules. I feed everyday when I get up in the morning and after the GF and I are finished with dinner(usually those times are 7am & 7pm) it keeps them happy & they still are ALWAYS looking for food. but not TOO much aggression even from the mating pair.

NY this has NOT been a good weekend for me fish wise... Lost 2 fish and 1 eel.

try switching it up. I just bought an autofeeder thats feeds in case I don't get up in time or don't make it home in time to feed them. easy way to see if you can fix your agression issues.

NyteGTI said:
try switching it up. I just bought an autofeeder thats feeds in case I don't get up in time or don't make it home in time to feed them. easy way to see if you can fix your agression issues.

I'm just a little discouraged right now. Getting advice to remove my bumble bees and other fish. I even got dither fish and gonna get more tomorrow. I don't know man. This stinks. I'm just not feeling it right now. I save lives and put fires out, I go into Haz-Mat situations and bring people back from the dead and a fish tank is breaking me down.

I'm just a little discouraged right now. Getting advice to remove my bumble bees and other fish. I even got dither fish and gonna get more tomorrow. I don't know man. This stinks. I'm just not feeling it right now. I save lives and put fires out, I go into Haz-Mat situations and bring people back from the dead and a fish tank is breaking me down.

Don't get down man, this happens in the wild every day. These fish are natural aggressors and kill each other. It makes it hard to control for us.

If anyone should feel like a jerk it would be me. I tried to add some of those medium sized Tinfoil Barb's to my JD/Bichir tank and somehow my Bichir ate one and choked to death last night. My absolute favorite fish. Saaaaaad day..

:(

steez said:
Don't get down man, this happens in the wild every day. These fish are natural aggressors and kill each other. It makes it hard to control for us.

If anyone should feel like a jerk it would be me. I tried to add some of those medium sized Tinfoil Barb's to my JD/Bichir tank and somehow my Bichir ate one and choked to death last night. My absolute favorite fish. Saaaaaad day..

Aw man! There has been terrible luck going around....now you guys have me scared for my tank!!! Ok....ima go to a water test lol

steez said:

Like you said man don't get down. We'll get through it.

Gboy66 said:
Aw man! There has been terrible luck going around....now you guys have me scared for my tank!!! Ok....ima go to a water test lol

Seems to be a streak on the forum today.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom