Eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikedurrant

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, wondering if anybody can tell me what I've just found. I opened up my internal filter to give it a clean and inside the casing (exposed to the water all the time) I found some clear blobs of goo :? which had little white dots inside, there were about 6 or 7 blobs and they were sticky, I couldn't leave then inside the filter incase they are fish eggs and would have therefore died in there shortly after hatching, so I scrped them out as carefully as I could and put them in my QT. Anybody got any ideas what they are? They were about half a cm wide with about 10-20 little white blobs inside.

In my tank are:

-Neons
-Cardinals
-Tiger Barbs
-Zebra Danios (heard that they don't have sticky eggs)
-Cory's
- FEMALE fighters only
- NO snails
- 1 Lone Bumblebee Goby
- 1 Sucking loach

Any ideas what they could have been anyone?

Have I killed them by scraping them out into the QT? Can't even see them in there because the sticky stuff surrounding them was clear and became pretty much invisible when wet.

Cheers,

Mike :D

I would really, really want to insist that these are snail eggs, because that is what many snail eggs look like, but especially since you have a loach snails seem unlikely. Whatever it is had to lay the eggs at the site where you found them, so that would pretty much rule out any fish, however, so my radar is back to snails! :D

The fish would lay or scatter eggs individually, not in a gelatinous glob, but I am certainly no expert on fish eggs, and have experience with angels, tetras and minnow type fish.

Oh well, hopefully they WON'T hatch then :(

Could possibly be snails I suppose, if they have been inside the filter!??!

Wish it would have been tiger barbs, ickle baby tiger barbs would be cool!!

Do you know whether these snail eggs will hatch out in the small tank?

They most likely will hatch out, and yes, I have snails in my filter, as do probably anyone who has snails in their tanks.

I agree, wee tiger barbs would be SO much cooler than baby snails, though they do have their own charm!

They have lost some of their charm for me over the years, however, since once they get started they are almost unstoppable. My guess is that if you found a clutch of snail eggs, there are other clutches, and other snails. It is like roaches. If you can see one, there are hundreds that you can't see! Good luck, and let us know what happens.

yes, i've had snails before but i thought they'd gone, haven't seen any for about a month, inside the filter or anywhere in the tank..........

Oh well, at least they're in the small tank now on their own, I'll put something in to get rid of them and replace the water :)

Cheers for all the replies, hope the big tank doesn't get full of snails now :(

Thanks,

Mike :p

Back
Top Bottom