Encountering aquarium fish in the wild- Share!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've seen those gobies before some of them get pretty big. The fish I saw was a sucker fish there was know doubt about that. I don't know we're you found out the temperature of the water but during the summer it feels more like 20 C but during the winter it's probably cools down by about 15 degrees. When I go to my cottage in the spring I will try and find one and take a photo. I don't know of any other sucker fish that aren't species of plecos. It's amazing the things we can find in rivers and lakes now. The Trent river is home to many invasive species like the rusty crayfish, round gobies, chinese mystery snails, possibly plecos, and many more.

There are tons of other sucker-mouthed fish in the world. Some aquarium species like Chinese and Siamese algae eaters, flying fox,etc... There are different species of "suckers" in the rivers near my house that arent plecos. It would be cool to get a pic though, definitely interested especially if it had bristles.

When I was a kid on the outskirts of Houston, TX. in the early 60's, all our streams and ditches had the wild sailfin molly and the common mosquito fish livebearer in them. We'd haul some home and keep them in our old 10g metaframes(for a while). We had a big pond we'd sneak of to and swim. We saw a lot of little fresh water shrimp in the weeds. Most were just light tan but some has a little orange too. No one knew about keeping shrimp back then. Little did I know how popular they would become. I guess I lost my chance at a million. LOL. OS.

Just to give you an idea on what has been either released by FWC or I dont want it in my aquarium anymore in Florida's freshwater. Plus many others not listed on a few lakes here...I even caught silver arowana on a lake nice fight. None of these are worst than the lionfish in our saltwater.

Nonnative Freshwater Fish

Some people have also seen gold nugget plecos, jaguar cichlids, bala sharks, and 5 star general cichlids in some near by water ways along with large peacock bass

That's a long list
Yes it is a long list. Sadly a long list. If you noticed the fish that have died out all seemed to be good foodfish for the ones that haven't died out. Makes you wonder :confused: I know FWC released Tilapia to control the algae in the canals. They did such a good job that they then needed to bring in Peacock bass to control the tilapia. Only problem with that was the native fish were easier to catch than the Tilapia so the Bass ate all the natives and left the Tilapia alone. I'm not blaming anybody here but a finger is easy to be pointed at a culprit :whistle:
If ever there were a scenario where all the fishlife should be replaced with native only stock, S. Florida IS THAT SCENARIO. The problem now may be where do you get the native stock from?

We have quite a few ponds in lower delaware that has these pretties in them. We also have gar and giant catfish and snakeheads around.

Gar are suppose to be all over north America but humans intervened in the past an decided they were to dangerous like many other things. These gar were controlling our invassise species. Like Asian carp and etc. it's not like all this has just recently just started happening. It's been going on for ever.

Also many species were introduced by humans for a reason. Like the peacock bass.

Yes it is a long list. Sadly a long list. If you noticed the fish that have died out all seemed to be good foodfish for the ones that haven't died out. Makes you wonder :confused: I know FWC released Tilapia to control the algae in the canals. They did such a good job that they then needed to bring in Peacock bass to control the tilapia. Only problem with that was the native fish were easier to catch than the Tilapia so the Bass ate all the natives and left the Tilapia alone. I'm not blaming anybody here but a finger is easy to be pointed at a culprit :whistle:
If ever there were a scenario where all the fishlife should be replaced with native only stock, S. Florida IS THAT SCENARIO. The problem now may be where do you get the native stock from?

Good food fish depending on your culture...

Snakehead as well. Which is one of the so called reasons for its introduction here. Cheaper to get if you can just catch them instead of importing them.

In Hawaii we have convicts, oscars, green terrors, plecos, jack dempseys, silver arrowana, corydoras, some rainbow fish, Kirbs, and jewel cichlids.

I saw a series of prety cool YouTube videos of a guy in Hawaii catching various cichlids, livebearers, shrimp and others.

When I've been on family trips to Mexico, I've seen lakes with alot of cichlids, and cenotes (fw caves of water with thousands of guppies, catfish, and occasional cichlids. Some of these were probably natural though

This isn't considered wild but has anyone seen the chiclid ponds at the animal kingdom in Disney World? Its amazing. It is crowded but it's truly remarkable to see all the different colours and sizes of these beautiful fish.

I live in Texas. I haven't seen anything too mind blowing but I've seen crayfish, goldfish, minnows, and mollies in a small creek near me. There's another pond close to there that has about 100 turtles, they weren't there until about 1yr ago though. At a friends house we went swimming in there creek where we were almost eaten by a 6ft alligator gar! Last time I went to the beach I swam with wild dolphins which was unusual since my family goes every year and has never even seen dolphins there.

I've seen that cichlid pond. On a neighboring island, I came across a river with what appeared to be a large Texas cichlid and a few barbs.

I live in Texas. I haven't seen anything too mind blowing but I've seen crayfish, goldfish, minnows, and mollies in a small creek near me. There's another pond close to there that has about 100 turtles, they weren't there until about 1yr ago though. At a friends house we went swimming in there creek where we were almost eaten by a 6ft alligator gar! Last time I went to the beach I swam with wild dolphins which was unusual since my family goes every year and has never even seen dolphins there.

U call getting attacked by a giant gar not mind blowing!?!?!?? I would

Back
Top Bottom