Encountering aquarium fish in the wild- Share!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I live in Texas. I haven't seen anything too mind blowing but I've seen crayfish, goldfish, minnows, and mollies in a small creek near me. There's another pond close to there that has about 100 turtles, they weren't there until about 1yr ago though. At a friends house we went swimming in there creek where we were almost eaten by a 6ft alligator gar! Last time I went to the beach I swam with wild dolphins which was unusual since my family goes every year and has never even seen dolphins there.

It's very uncommon for a gar to actually eat a human. You can swim with them in many many aquariums. This is the reason why they were killed out from people assuming the animal was doing something.

It's very uncommon for a gar to actually eat a human. You can swim with them in many many aquariums. This is the reason why they were killed out from people assuming the animal was doing something.

There is a "river monsters" on that. S1 think

There is a "river monsters" on that. S1 think
There is. I didnt want to be rude but alligator gar rarely attack a human and it is doubtful they would eat one. They are very docile. He swam with them on the epi. your talkin about.

There is. I didnt want to be rude but alligator gar rarely attack a human and it is doubtful they would eat one. They are very docile. He swam with them on the epi. your talkin about.

I agree for sure that it would be very unlikely for them to attack, probably lesser so than most sharks

Yay Texas!!!!!! Only here can you drive for 8 hours and still be in Texas!!
And then there's Alaska....

I agree for sure that it would be very unlikely for them to attack, probably lesser so than most sharks

Most likely. As a matter of fact very few fish actually attack people except when defending their territory. Snakeheads are probably an exception because they are evil fish lol

Most likely. As a matter of fact very few fish actually attack people except when defending their territory. Snakeheads are probably an exception because they are evil fish lol
Candiru! Youuuchhhhh!

Well he's with a craw fish but prob gonna release in the spring he's about 8 inch now lol

Fish that live places that get cold go dormant in near freezing temperatures. This is why ice fishing is soo easy. Fish that live in warmer climates dont.

Very few fish truly go dormant, and most coldwater species don't even slow their metabolism in the winter time. They hang out in deep pools and swim as little as possible to conserve energy, but they are not dormant. If they went dormant, you wouldn't catch any fish ice fishing.

Well he's with a craw fish but prob gonna release in the spring he's about 8 inch now lol

Glad your putting him back :) they're really nice looking fish though! I catch them year round except the dead of winter

Please don't - you should never release aquarium-kept fish back into the wild. In fact in many states it is illegal to do so, even if the aquarium kept fish is native to the area it is being released into.

Those of you saying tropical fish can't survive Canada due to cold temperatures need to check out the link; http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie...ll Warm Springs Dace 5 year review_Oct 07.pdf

page 26 or so. Betas, Convict cichlids, goldfish, swordtails, gouramis, and swordtails (along with others) in the middle of Wyoming. Anything is possible in a stream or pool that has a geothermal heat source. Even in areas where the air temperature gets to -30.

Last edited:
Reactions: HN1
Back
Top Bottom