Equipment Complaints

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
I'm getting some comments here that I've gone overboard in equipment. My reply has been that I went a bit cheap and cheerful at start and I should scrap the lot and re-buy properly again (preferably with a new 8ft tank) but this is not going over well.

So here's what I have for a 4ft tall (150gal tank) - I don't think this is unreasonable? Hope not otherwise in trouble over electricity, etc, etc ...

1 heater (really need two but can get away with it),

1 uv unit (could go I guess),

1 air pump (I like bubbles, not giving it up! ),

2 canister filters (first one was too small, now know better),

1 internal u4 (mechanical clean and hides pipes),

Lights 1 led and just bought a t8 (which may have been a mistake). Plants only take off within a foot of surface so I wanted more light. Probably should have researched that better.

Thoughts? I said it could be worse, I've run out of room to think about a sump. The saltwater guy at work just laughed and said I should get a chiller next. (whatever that is).

The equipment you have in that size tank is fine except the lighting won't work for plants in a tank that deep, which you already found that out. I run a 220g with 4 Fluval 406 canisters, an inline UV, 3 heater, plus a couple powerheads that diffuse my CO2.

I think investing in snorkeling gear could cut down on substrate maintainence time..

Lmao brook and ya I have 150 gallon supposed to get my lighting in today I'll tell you if I like it or send a pic

4 foot tall ! Wow

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sorry, sorry - I may have picked up some bad terminology. I meant the normal height is 2ft and this tank is 2.5ft high. Apologies again. It's 4ft by 2ft by 2.5ft high.

It's a real pain still - the tank and stand are about 6ft high so every time I work on plants I have to bring the ladder in. Even then a couple of times reaching to the back middle I have thought I was going to fall in and need a life raft on the side...

You soooo need a Build My LED!

I know, I know. I didn't realise the T8 would be um, hot as well.

Have you got a link?

I went to the lfs that knows what they are doing but didn't quite work. A compact t5 was suggested for depth penetration (supplier doesn't stock anymore), then a T5 (didn't have the bulbs), so I thought stuff it what about this T8 (now I read that was a bad choice)?

This is the tank and stand - I have swapped the t8 to the back and led in front. I also have Perspex covers on either side of a glass strip to stop water splashing. I noticed today after cleaning the glass that maybe I should see if I can get glass covers cut to replace the Perspex but I would need it cut around pipes.

I'm also a bit worried that if I order something on line and it gets stopped ( like the liquid co2), then I'm out of pocket - I think lights should be safe to order? Any troubles?

Hood is about head height. The small ladder shown there is ok for water changes.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394322784.276715.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394322829.382059.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks :) It was bought to be a furniture piece and I'm really happy with the tank and stand. It's just the fish and plants that give me trouble.

I noticed the milfoil today is getting brown patches about a cm above the gravel even though it is trying to put down roots and get shoots going.

Hopefully this light makes a difference and I can start looking around for better LED lights.

A 30" tall tank is much better than 48" tall. My 220g is 30" tall and I for high/very high lighting I have 4- 39w T5HO's, 3- 150w HID Metal Halides, and run 1 BML Led fixture. You don't want near that amount of light but do need to take into consideration that in a deep tank PAR levels will be pretty low on the bottom with most lights. Also most Led fixtures are still geared towards saltwater tanks so you have to be careful when purchasing. T5HO's, like this fixture would work well in that size tank without it being high lighting.... AquaticLife 48" T5 HO 4 Lamp Fixture with Lunar Lights Freshwater. There are also one's like this that only have 2 bulbs which would be low lighting.

Déla! Check this out! Just got it yesterday!!!

image-1450381971.jpg

27" grabber and scissor!! Thing is amazing!!!! Root tabs? No problem!! Snail?! No problem!! TV remote?? Oh crap! How'd that get in there?!?!

A 30" tall tank is much better than 48" tall. My 220g is 30" tall and I for high/very high lighting I have 4- 39w T5HO's, 3- 150w HID Metal Halides, and run 1 BML Led fixture. You don't want near that amount of light but do need to take into consideration that in a deep tank PAR levels will be pretty low on the bottom with most lights. Also most Led fixtures are still geared towards saltwater tanks so you have to be careful when purchasing. T5HO's, like this fixture would work well in that size tank without it being high lighting.... AquaticLife 48" T5 HO 4 Lamp Fixture with Lunar Lights Freshwater. There are also one's like this that only have 2 bulbs which would be low lighting.

Thanks Rivercats, I'll check these out. I'd say we're a bit behind here with LEDs as well. I can't find much and would be very reliant on finding a good shop further a field. I'd like to do a proper set of LEDs to keep the heat down but options seem a bit limited. The link is much appreciated.

Déla! Check this out! Just got it yesterday!!!

View attachment 226764

27" grabber and scissor!! Thing is amazing!!!! Root tabs? No problem!! Snail?! No problem!! TV remote?? Oh crap! How'd that get in there?!?!

Say, that's nice - I will have to get one :)

Plus the neighbour said it was no problems if parcels went to him and then went 'over the fence'.

Back
Top Bottom