euthanising sick fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sultana

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
how do u do it? i've read that freezing is 'just' acceptable. Vets is a option but they charge. or the 1:5 vodka method, which is the best cos they then fall asleep painless.
But what if u breed food fish for other fish? and dont want to be killing them by hand?

There are a number of humane ways of euthanising fish. Unfortunately just freezing the fish isn't really one of them. A combo of clove oil (you can find it at health food stores) and alcohol like vodka will put them to sleep painlessly (the clove oil is an anesthetic, the vodka does the deed but vodka alone does hurt the fish - think of alcohol on an open wound then think of their gills). The most humane is actually quickly chopping their head off, but most of us (including me!) just can't quite go there. Theres some discussion about it here : http://www.bettasrus.com/disease/euthanasia.htm

Haha! Alli finally has an avatar!

Clove oil is a good idea for aging or sick fish, but I think it's prob. less good for feeder fish, no? I'd think that the fish eating the other fish would be affected by the clove oil, too. Maybe the proportions wouldn't be that high, but it could be an issue.

Sultana, can't you feed these feeder fish to the larger fish in the tank? Is there an issue with giving them live food?

Clove oil and vodka work great but vodka does noting to the fish other than burn him a but.
wodka is added to clove oil seperatly from the water to make the clove oil able to dissolve in the water (therwise it'll just sit in bubbles at the top).

It knocks them out fast then put them in a bucket of cold water and ice.

Sharp knife and decapitation. Not for the squeamish, but I do it when neccesary.

It is quick as can be, and there is no lingering or wasting of perfectly good vodka.

corvuscorax said:
... and there is no lingering or wasting of perfectly good vodka.

I guess that's why hubby was a little upset when he caught me using a bottle of Absolut to euthanize my dying fish a while back. :lol:

Hey, we didn't have any of the cheap stuff!

I think the sharp blade to the spinal cord is the most humane way, but also the most difficult for the dedicated hobbyist! Just so long as you don't flush it! 8O

thanks then , i guess i have some shopping to do!

Just throw them real hard on the garage floor, or sharp scissors and lop off the head. Bottom line is that they are just fish and do not have the advanced brain functions found in higher mammals therefor severing the spinal column will do it. As much as I love my goldfish I am not gonna pay the vet $50 to put my $5 fish under. Save the vodka to soothe my higher brain function over the dearly departed.

:lol: :lol: :lol: .........very funny.....is letting them swim in the tank until their last breath considered inhumane or dangerous to the other inhabitants?

:lol: :lol: :lol: .........very funny.....is letting them swim in the tank until their last breath considered inhumane or dangerous to the other inhabitants?

Madame_X said:
corvuscorax said:
... and there is no lingering or wasting of perfectly good vodka.

I guess that's why hubby was a little upset when he caught me using a bottle of Absolut to euthanize my dying fish a while back. :lol:

Hey, we didn't have any of the cheap stuff!

lol, that's what I was thinking... what a waste of vodka :p

From the site Alli posted:
Decapitation: This is only suitable for smaller fish. It is assumed to cause instant unconsciousness. Remove your fish, place them in a paper towel or something so you have a good hold on them, place a very ,very sharp knife right behind the gills and slice with one, quick motion. Be prepared to cry, some of that vodka might come in handy again :'(

Hi,

This topic keeps poping up (or laying down depending on your viewpoint) in various forums and articles.

I provide this link for your review. It is very comprehensive - summarizes the various methods and provides a 'Humaneness Index' For example: Flushing gets a 0% Euthanasia Humane index and Temprature Shock Freezing gets a 100% there are several others and several others that get 100%.

I think this site really gives some great info on the topic.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/gi/dy...orld.com/faustus/nicoldaquaria/euthanasia.htm

However, I don't wonder whether we are too quick to do this, as many a fish that I have had, and was sure would perish ended up living long lives. So think hard before selecting any, and consider as well whether you are in the position to do so.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom