Euthanizing African Dwarf Frog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katrinag

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I have a ADF that is extremely bloated and still alive. I read what to do to Euthanize sick fish but I wasnt sure if that is the same for the ADF.

Can someone please let me know? I know this is horrible and I dont want my frog to suffer any more.

thank you

If you can't treat it, then yes, I would euthanize it.

When I had to euthanize a tetra, I didn't want to smash it, cut it's head off, or anything like that. I also didn't have any clove oil either, or a place to get it.

So, I got some rubbing alcohol, and poured it into a container so there was just enough to cover the tetra. Put the tetra in there. Took three breaths, and it was dead. It's sad, but better than them suffering. :(

Not sure how it is with frogs, though.

Best of luck.

I would not use alcohol to euthanize a frog. Fish have gills so it would work differently. I'm not sure if clove oil would work either. Slushy ice water is probably the way to go. Add some salt to it so it gets colder.

Last edited:
For an amphibian Ice slush, or I know it's traumatic to think/do, the smash is instantaneous :( Sorry to see you lose a friend.

Back
Top Bottom