Everyones favorite Betta food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine loves live or frozen bloodworm, frozen beefheart & his normal betta food. And he loves his peas which he gets every sunday.

Mine liked bloodworms too and he ate the tetramin flakes too. I don't use tetramin anymore but yea. If you feed him large foods like bloodworms I would recommend giving him half a pea or a whole pea (the inside) every once in a while

I feed frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp as well as omega one betta buffet pellets. I think omega one makes both a flake and pellet form of betta buffet so if yours doesn't like pellets you can always try flakes.

Fyi - freezedried brine shrimp and bloodworms aren't the healthiest so if that's what your feeding try some frozen bloodworms. My Bettas go nuts over them.

I got the omega one freeze dried brine shrimp as a treat for my community tank for once a week or so. I also just have the aqueon flakes that came with my 10g kit. I was trying to get through that before I picked up something else. I have a female in the 10g community she eats anything, but my male in my new 5g seems a little picky. So maybe I'll go out and get all new food from omega one? I've read they offer good products. Maybe I'll get some freeze dried bloodworm, betta buffet flakes and pellets? Hopefully my guy likes at least one of them.

Freeze dried products are really not the best. If you want to feed brine shrimp or bloodworms, go frozen.

Freeze dried are ok as an occasional treat like once a week or less but definitely lack in nutritional value. I agree try some frozen and you won't be sorry!

ashleynicole said:
Freeze dried are ok as an occasional treat like once a week or less but definitely lack in nutritional value. I agree try some frozen and you won't be sorry!

What kind of schedule should I be on with flakes or pellets and frozen food?

Billbug68 said:
What kind of schedule should I be on with flakes or pellets and frozen food?

I feed mine pellets 2-3 times a week. And alternate with frozen brine shrimp or bloodworms 2-3 days a week. I try to skip feeding at least 2 days week as well. My plan is usually to feed every other day and alternate frozen food with flakes or pellets but my kids always beg to feed the fish, lol.

My betta gets Omega One or Hikari Betta Pellets. He gets 2-3 pellets twice per day. Peas on Sundays. Once or twice a month I'll give my community tank frozen something (bloodworms, etc) and I give my Betta a small piece or two. Bettas are prone to bloat so just be careful with the freeze-dried and frozen stuff.

My betta gets Omega One or Hikari Betta Pellets. He gets 2-3 pellets twice per day. Peas on Sundays. Once or twice a month I'll give my community tank frozen something (bloodworms, etc) and I give my Betta a small piece or two. Bettas are prone to bloat so just be careful with the freeze-dried and frozen stuff.

The frozen food is less likely to cause bloat than even pellets or flakes, since the flakes and pellets swell when they get in water. Frozen food doesn't really swell after it is thawed and is second best to live feeding. Live feeding of course would be optimal but I am not up to the task of culturing bloodworms or brine shrimp.

I only feed one or two blood worms when I feed the frozen and the rest of the cube goes in the community tank. Same with brine shrimp, they get 2 or 3 brine shrimp and the rest of the cube goes in my big tank.

Your right about the freezedried stuff, it really will cause bloat. I also only feed once a day and only 1-2 pellets. I also have live plants in the tank so the betta's graze on the vegetation, although since they are carnivorous they don't need much plant matter I suspect they are picking at infusoria

EDIT- also would like to mention that I had 3 succesful spawnings with these feeding methods, although my male always wound up eating the eggs and the one time I saw fry he ate those too, and my males always build bubble nests.

Well crap, I bought a big thing of freeze dried brine shrimp last week thinking it was going to be good... I'll run myself out of food then take all your suggestions into consideration. Any suggestions for a good flake food for my community tank? Then I can do the frozen stuff once or twice a week? Or just straight frozen food?

I think it's good to have a quality flake or pellet food for the community tank to provide balanced nutrition. It is hard to provide everything a fish would get in the wild through feeding and grazing.

Personally I like omega one foods, I have their flake food for my community tank. I used hikari and new life spectrum before I discovered omega one but slowly switched everything to omega one as I ran out of the other stuff. I think it is a good idea to feed a varied diet. (y)

And you can use the freeze dried brine shrimp as a treat, no more than once I week I would say. If you let it sit in some tank water to rehydrate for about 10 minutes before you feed it, it is less likely to cause the fish to bloat.

Back
Top Bottom