everyones nightmare...algea blooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BmxBandGeek

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok..i figured out my tank was cloudy because of overfeeding, and now my tank is like pure green from algea..ive tried chemicals to treat it..and its not sticking to the sides so a brush wont help..ack..how can i cure this algea bloom?

Hi BMX.

What are your water perameters? What size tank? Also, how often do you do water changes? Is yout tank planted? What's the WPG? Start by answering those and we can help you get rid of your algae bloom and try and prevent it in the future!

well..my water is all normal Ph is 7, ammonia is 0, nitrite is normal, but my GH, KH is high..around 200ppm i think..37 gallon eclipse filter is my tank size, i did 1 25% water change to get rid of my cloudiness, no plants..although id like to get some

Your algae bloom will go away when there are less nutrients available. This includes fish waste and excess food. Since the algae is green, it is also getting energy from the light. You should cut back on the light and limit feedings.
nitrite is normal
So, it's zero??
Also, you should check your nitrates, which are basically plant fertilizers.

I had the same problem and it took quite a few weeks to completely get rid of it. I reduced the lighting in my tank, (and only left the light on for MAX 8 hrs a day while I was at work), made sure I didn't overfeed the fish and added loads of plants to the tank (they apparently feed off the algae), then regular water changes until it cleared up.

I think reducing the lighting and adding the plants are a good start. Be patient... it will eventually disappear :?

thnx aussie..i think ill take one of my lights out and feed small amounts...and what kind of plants are really hardie and can survive in mediocre conditions?

Back
Top Bottom