Excel alternative

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rafy0126

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've seen some clips on YouTube for Metricide as an alternative for Excel, has anybody here try this ?

Looking for some input on this...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hahah, you must be new;) welcome!!! Yes, we all recommend it as it's way cheaper and twice as strong.. I made the switch a month ago and couldn't be happier. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Jajaja not that new !

Thx for the info.

Any recommendations on dosing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've seen some clips on YouTube for Metricide as an alternative for Excel, has anybody here try this ?

Looking for some input on this...

I too switched a little more than a month ago. I was skeptical too, but it us way cheaper and actually seems to work better. I dose 8 ml per day with a small co2 system. I've been very impressed with the results! It's only $30 per gallon and it will last you a long time! Wayyyy more cost effective than excel and helps keep algae down more effectively.

no mixing or anything???

I got one on watch for $20 on ebay. Thx for the info.

I mix it 4:1 with distilled water in a 500 ml excel bottle. .

I got one on watch for $20 on ebay. Thx for the info.

The only one on eBay going for around $20 shipped, is actually Omnicide 14 with a default picture of a Metricide 14 bottle. It's quite deceiving but don't worry. There's been a discussion thread on it and the consensus is that Omnicide works the same way. I really wish the seller changed the picture. But at the price they're selling a gallon for, it's only a minor annoyance. Just wanted to give you a heads up because I've seen TPT members get all bent out of shape on it.

Just throw the activator bottle away. Omnicide/Metricide is about 2X stronger than excel. You can either dose half as much as Excel, or dilute the Glut to Excel strength and dose business as usual... I do the latter and use my old Excel bottle to refill.

That's good to know.

Nope, it comes with a small bottle of mixing solution, throw it out

That's the activator for its sterilization uses.. this is pure poison to fish so you'll definitely want to chuck it like pj said..

Hahah, you must be new;) welcome!!! Yes, we all recommend it as it's way cheaper and twice as strong.. I made the switch a month ago and couldn't be happier. .
Hmm...I just bought a big bottle of Excel yesterday and today I find something twice as strong that costs half as much

Story of my life

Hmm...I just bought a big bottle of Excel yesterday and today I find something twice as strong that costs half as much

Story of my life

You'll be through that bottle in no time..

Same reason I'm switching.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know what you're saying, but somehow I don't feel comforted that my $34 will be gone in no time at all!!! :lol:

Oh you got the biggg bottle huh?

Oh you got the biggg bottle huh?
I really didn't want to spend the money but I had algae in my temporary holding tank and Laura suggested Excel to help clear it up.

The 2L seemed like the best deal because I have a big tank and I figured that since I was going to buy it I should get enough to fertilize religiously until the plants get established.

I mix it 4:1 with distilled water in a 500 ml excel bottle. .

HA! I love it. Just to stick it to Seachem.

I really didn't want to spend the money but I had algae in my temporary holding tank and Laura suggested Excel to help clear it up.

Per Seachem's own instructions (and some help staff interactions), Excel is not meant to be algaecidal. That's an off-label use that we in the amateur scene have picked up. I don't really recommend it to be used solely as an algaecide in a holding tank, especially if it's not planted. As always, you're better off figuring out what's causing it, which shouldn't be to hard in that case (hint:it's your light).

HA! I love it. Just to stick it to Seachem.

Per Seachem's own instructions (and some help staff interactions), Excel is not meant to be algaecidal. That's an off-label use that we in the amateur scene have picked up. I don't really recommend it to be used solely as an algaecide in a holding tank, especially if it's not planted. As always, you're better off figuring out what's causing it, which shouldn't be to hard in that case (hint:it's your light).

More so... because I dose at 5:45 am (barely awake while the coffee brews, I've developed habits with this particular bottle) and it is a light block bottle after all..

Back
Top Bottom