Experts - Can this setup work? Fish already selected etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuOD

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone,

I've decided to go ahead with a FO tank and I've pretty much finalized my setup and I'm looking to see if my fish selection will work.

Setup:
125g 4x2x2
Fluval FX5
2x 300w heater
some protein skimmer planned (see below for details)
powerhead???????
geosystem substrate+crushed coral
dead coral/rock/fake plants at bottom
coralife light (thin bulbs but VERY bright, 1white/1blue inside) 4'

As for protein skimmer: I am looking at the coralife super skimmer 125. I live in Canada and the price is $280 CDN here, or $140 US on ebay, so I'm considering purchasing one from ebay. I don't know how warranties work or how reliable these things are so I was looking for some input.

The fluval FX5 pushes water pretty well but I don't know whether or not I need a powerhead for a FO tank. I don't mind getting one if it's recommended/required.

The tank has been cycling for a week as freshwater with goldfish. It's now been converted to salt water and has some mollys (though not enough to do anything) In a week or two I will add a few damsels if the tank tests ok but none of the below fish will be added until January so it will be ready for sure.

The GOOD PART!! The fish:

Blue Tang (Dorie from Finding Nemo)
Zebra Moray Eel (or some other kind if I cannot find a zebra)
Panther Grouper
Picasso Trigger
Emperor Angelfish
Lastly - either a damsel if he survives after cycling, a boxfish, or a niger trigger or nothing at all!

I really like all of these fish and I'm hoping I can create a community for them :)

I've also attached pictures of my tank here!

Thanks for all the advice!!

Only thing I'd advise is sand instead of crushed coral/cc if it's not too late. CC can hold lots of leftover food from those messy eaters you're intending. Nitrate factory IMO. You might be very sorry later on.

Also, look at the Aqua C EV (maybe 180) skimmers. I haven't used the Coralife, just that I'm liking mine. Go bigger too.

Also ditch the damsels and consider cycling with fresh, raw shrimp instead.
BTW, welcome to AA! :smilecolros:

Lastly - either a damsel if he survives after cycling, a boxfish, or a niger trigger or nothing at all!
Please do not use a fish to cycle .....this is painfull for them as they burn thier little gills . A table shrimp from the market works just as well .
The tang may be bullied with those fish as they are a bit more agressive. Power head will also help keep stuff suspended to be picked up buy the filtration.... As for the CC I agree with Austinsdad on that one . Sorry I couldnt be of more help maybe some one else will chime in

You need to do some research on the individuals in your fish list. THe grouper will become way too large, the picasso trigger will create havoc with its tankmates. Along those same lines, your cleanup crew will be toast which will increase the work level on you in a major way. Some of the fish listed really need ALOT of liverock to be happy. Your tank doesnt have that. Please research a bit more.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

As I said before, I won't be adding any fish until January and I'm certain that I know what I'm doing. I'm doing some really early research :) I only added 1 bag of crushed coral (20 lbs or so), the rest of that is geosystem fine substrate by Hagen. A couple follow-up qs:

1. Read the link. I'll get some shrimp.

2. I will look into the Aqua C EV 180 - Are these things reliable? Reliable enough to purchase over the internet without assured warranty?

3. As for my fish selection, I've based it mostly on the fish I've seen available at my LFS. I'm a big fan of the look of the picasso trigger and assumed a 12-15" grouper could fit into my tank. If you were to cut out some fish from that list which ones would it be? I don't mind dropping the eel as it's probably quite boring. I really prefer colorful/neat looking fish (no lionfish) as that's why I decided on salt water. I do not want metal halide lighting.

4. Cleanup crew - I know these are the gobies/crabs/snails etc. I just know nothing about them yet. Which ones should I get? Without an eel would it only be the grouper/trigger going after them?

Thanks!!

1) Yes just an ordinary small cocktail shrimp.

3) just ordinary lighting will work in your tank if your not having corals. No MH`s are needed.

4) yes

I'd consider a couple of tangs, angels, and any of the wide variety of gobies, blennies, chromis, crabs, shrimps, snails. If you're looking for action, there are plenty of fish that don't eat others or inverts that are cool IMO. Also the feeding factor for tigers, groupers, and eels is such that you'll be always battling nitrates (not to mention that crushed coral - not too late to get it out maybe???).

OK, how about:

* Blue tang (near last after 3-4 months when you got the tank settled quite a bit)
* Yellow tang (absolutely last - cause they can be mean to newcomers)
* or, purple tang
* 2 (mated pair) percula or ocellaris clowns
* a blenny (plenty to choose from)
* couple of gobies (maybe a pistol shrimp too)
* 3-5 blue green chromis
* (after one year and maybe 100-1550 lbs of live rock) a mandarin
* 3 cleaner shrimp
* assorted hermits
* assorted snails
* brittle and or serpent starfish

Much easier tank to mantain also IMO.

Those fake plants and rocks are gonna get covered in junk/algae/etc, so I'd also recommend going with live and base (that becomes live) rock. Better natural filtration too.

My 2 cents.

**Edited to be more clear**

Thanks for the above stocking suggestion. It does sound quite interesting! It's just that in my head I see all those little critters in a coral setup so I didn't think it'd work well. I will investigate all of the fish in the above setup and see how it looks! See above for my consideration on liverock transportation. It is also $10 CDN/lb so it's quite expensive. If it's worth having some for now.. say 10 lbs, I could go get some and add it =) The rocks in there are dead coral. Is dead coral and 1 regular rock ok to keep? Also, the fake plants will go they are just there temporarily because it was going to be a FW tank originally. I could get some liverock later today if it's not too early to add it in.

It's hard getting so excited for something so far away.

I will head to the store later today to get some cocktail shrimp :)

If I were to only get 3 fish - Picasso Trigger, Panther Grouper, and Emperor Angel without having a cleanup crew (since they will just be killed) would that work?

It seems to me that it's impossible to have the really beautiful fish in combination with the clean-up crew etc. If not - what is an example stock that includes some of the interesting fish I've mentioned? Liverock/more rock making better hiding places maybe? Ultimately, I'd like to have a tank I really enjoy - if it means purchasing a bunch of liverock/regular rock so I can have the fish I like then it's a possibility.

---

I've looked at the protein skimmers by Aqua-C and they are just out of my price range. I've seen some recommendations for the Coralife 125 and believe I will order that. I'm also looking at powerheads. Which powerhead would nicely complement my Fluval FX5 for a 4x2x2 tank FO/FOWLR? I am seeing a SEIO 820 or 620 seems to be a good bet?

I love the Seios. I have 2 620s in my 55G and have 3 820s sitting waiting for my 125G stand.
Trigger will move your LR.
Grouper will eat anything it can get in it's mouth.
If you are loooking to save some money, go with a lot of base rock, I found this place and will be ordering about 150Lbs from him:
http://marcorocks.com/
Mix that with LR and you should be good to go.
I used to have CC/LS and it was a pain to take it out. I switched to sand because the CC sat on the top and was a real pain to keep clean.

I'm heading to my LFS shortly and I'll talk with them about this as well to see if they have suggestions. From the sounds of it I can either get grouper+trigger and have nothing else in the tank (no live rock etc)

Or I can get a mix of fish including cleaners etc but I can't have a grouper or trigger.

I've decided to get 1-2 Seio 820s or 2 620s, a coralife super skimmer 220, and possibly some live rock just for now. I'll have to think long and hard about the fish. Having only a trigger+grouper in a huge tank is very empty.

I confirmed that my light is two thin t5 bulbs (1 blue/1white). Will I need to get more if I'm having live rock and a stock similar to the one suggested above?

As far as the lighting that will be enough if you are only going to be FOWLR. Corals will be another story. Also if you want a clean up crew they will not last long with the trigger and grouper. Peaceful tank is much more desirable IMO. I also run a seio but I run the 1100.

GuOD said:
I'm heading to my LFS shortly and I'll talk with them about this as well to see if they have suggestions. From the sounds of it I can either get grouper+trigger and have nothing else in the tank (no live rock etc)

Or I can get a mix of fish including cleaners etc but I can't have a grouper or trigger.

Your tank is not nearly big enough for a panther grouper, even as the only fish. I love them, but IMO my 180 (6') is too small. LiveAquaria gives them a minimum tank size of 300 gallons, and they're in the business of getting people to buy fish. They get up to 20" and have an appetite to match. And - they grow really fast.

A trigger will tear those fake plants to bits - or at least pull them out of the sand. Also, a trigger needs a lot of rock with plenty of caves. The whole point of a trigger's "trigger" dorsal fin is to let him wedge himself in between rocks, which they'll do both when threatened and when they sleep. A trigger will choose a cave and wedge himself in there every night; I have a pinktail, and the moment the lights go out he swims right to his cave and puts up his trigger to hold himself in place. Lacking such safe spots, a trigger will be unhappy and will probably take it out on his tankmates. They have teeth and like to use them (take my word for it!).

Almost any trigger will eat shrimps, and most will eat other motile inverts. A few are hit-or-miss with inverts, such as the bluethroat, sargassum, and crosshatch.

Thanks everyone. I've decided against a grouper for reasons above.

I've pretty much decided that I can't do an agressive tank fish because I cannot mix the fish that I like.

I'm looking into starting a community tank now - with a nice cleanup crew, some starfish, clowns, chromis, and other fish that will be more peaceful. I will get the super skimmer 220 and a powerhead. I will also get a bunch of live rock and add maybe 1-2 annenoems (for the clowns). All fake plants are going to be removed. Also, I've read that niger triggers are passive... so would I be able to place a niger trigger in an aquarium like this?

Assuming I'm keeping this tank pretty much FO, with maybe 20-30 lbs live rock, and 1-2 anemoes, do I need a powerful powerhead or just a simple 620/820??

Thanks! I will probably stick fairly close to the stocking suggestion above but possibly something instead of tangs due to ich fear.

The thing I don't know about is the trigger, but I sure am happy about the rest of your last post, GuOD. I was starting to get a headache just reading all this back-and-forth!!
Go Community Tank!!
PS. And no fake plants, please!

Thanks! I appreciate everyone's patience.

I am trying to fully understand everything and learn as quickly as possible so that when I do start I'm fully prepared.

I'm trying to decide which powerhead would be ideal for my 125g assuming community with 30-50 lbs of live rock. It's 4x2x2 and the Fluval Filter pumps 1000gal/hr. I'm leaning towards a Seio 820 or 1100. I don't want to have too much flow that the fish are unhappy but I also don't want too little. I'm totally unfamiliar with this and find it difficult to find information (I know reef tanks need a lot but my tank is FO basically)

I'm also considering getting a Orbit 48" 260W Reef light for my 50 lbs of live rock. Is this necessary or should I stick with my Coralife compact t5 florescent? (I believe it's 2x65w.. one blue one white)

Thanks!

Re: Experts - Can this setup work? Fish already selected etc

GuOD said:
The tank has been cycling for a week as freshwater with goldfish. It's now been converted to salt water and has some mollys (though not enough to do anything) In a week or two I will add a few damsels if the tank tests ok but none of the below fish will be added until January so it will be ready for sure.

That is by no means long enough to cycle a tank for saltwater fish. A tank community for the fish you are intending will require several months of cycling before it is ready for any real fish. Several months means 6 at a minimum, more wouldn't hurt though. You could speed up the process if you could get some good water from another system.

That is by no means long enough to cycle a tank for saltwater fish. A tank community for the fish you are intending will require several months of cycling before it is ready for any real fish. Several months means 6 at a minimum, more wouldn't hurt though. You could speed up the process if you could get some good water from another system.

A month will cycle a tank. It is important to add fish slowly, no matter how long your cycle took. As far as speeding up the process by getting good water from another system, that is not quite correct. Water does not hold the good bacteria. That grows on surfaces such as rock, sand, bioballs, sponges. It does not live in the water column. For example, if you took an empty tank and filled it with just water from a well established tank that was 10 years old, it would not help cycle the tank, nor would the tank be anywhere near cycled. If however, you took the liverock from that 10 year old, well stocked tank, and put it in your new tank, it would be ready for fish almost instantly.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :D :D :D
You have been given some very good advice and I applaud you for modifying your fish list. There are tons of great options for a community tank. One thing to consider...I cannot under-estemate the importance of using LR as a source for biological filtration. It is the single best thing you can do for your tank. It is well worth the consideration and investment. The benefits are many.

lando said:
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :D :D :D
You have been given some very good advice and I applaud you for modifying your fish list. There are tons of great options for a community tank. One thing to consider...I cannot under-estemate the importance of using LR as a source for biological filtration. It is the single best thing you can do for your tank. It is well worth the consideration and investment. The benefits are many.

Thanks. I came into this knowing nothing at all but appreciating only the look of the fish. I have a separate thread where I decided I will have over 100 lbs of a dryrock/liverock combination.

I still do think triggers look really nice and I'm hoping I can one day add a passive trigger to my tank, such as a niger trigger.

Back
Top Bottom