Extreme plant growth?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluerose

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Specifically, my Anacharis...

Apparently they like my new lighting scheme (instead of 10am-7pm it's 12-9pm) or something because they are growing like weeds.

Trimmed the stuff that was curling at the surface last week, replanted the trimmings, it is now curling at the surface again... basically doubled its size.

I only dose Flourish 1x/wk and I did dose Excel (half dose) last week as well in hopes that it would help a bit with my BBA-- figured it might slow the Anacharis down a bit because they did melt last time I used the stuff... nope.

I'm going to be throwing the trimmings away pretty soon here!

*I do not need another tank. I do not need another tank. I do not need another tank...*

give them away. on a side note excel and anacharis dont go very well together.

For the excel to be effective against BBA, you either have to spot treat (use a syringe and spray right on the algae) or heavily dose your tank. Half dosing isn't going to help it, and like said above it will melt your anacharis.

I know they melt, that's how I lost my first batch.

The Excel dosage was placed right by one of my Anubias and the BBA there did back off and the shrimp finished a lot of the rest-- it's better. I'm not looking to totally eliminate it, just keep it under control.

Give them away?... I know nobody else with an aquarium much less a planted one. Oh well. I do have a few empty spots still so for the next little while they'll still be used.

I agree, give them away if you don't want them.

I just did a huge trim since I couldn't see my fish amongst the forest.... I hate to see perfectly good cuttings go into the rubbish, and since none of my friends are into the hobby, I offered the cuttings on a local forum to anyone who might want to pick up the postage.

Lets say it took less than 20 mins for all the cuttings on offer to be eagerly snapped up.

If the BBA is on anubias only, 2 tricks you can do.

One, remove from tank, put excel in a little spray bottle, and spritz it. Hold it for 30 seconds to a minute, then place back in tank.

Or, two, use H2O2 instead - Hydrogen peroxide. 3 ml per 10g of water maximum. Turn off filters, slowly spot treat it into BBA in the tank with a syringe. Wait 15 mins, turn on filters. 48 hours, dead BBA.

Depending on who you talk to, some say do a water change the later in the day/the next day. I never have personally done the water changes, (it breaks down to H20 and O2, not sure how that'd hurt anything) but some have reported deaths - at a guess from overdosing the tank instead of spot treating and burning fish lungs right as they do it. Anyhow, with peroxide, caution is prudent - don't overdo it. ;)

Back
Top Bottom