Extremely green water in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eduguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My 10 gallon tank has very green water. It is cycled. Even if I change the water it only clears up a tiny bit. Please help :thanks:

Green water is usually due to either a significant excess of light (particularly direct sunlight), or a major water quality problem. Is your tank in direct sunlight?

Also have you tested for phosphates? The other questions are good ones. I'll wait until you answer all first.

Maybe test your tap water?

Also to add, check your parameters all of them. What's your feeding schedule like and your water changes?

Last edited:
15-20 percent weekly. I feed twice a day. My tank is not in direct sunlight. I do not have a Phosphate test kit.

15-20 percent weekly. I feed twice a day. My tank is not in direct sunlight. I do not have a Phosphate test kit.

Get a phosphate test kit, reduce feedings, up your water changes and maybe look into a UV sterilizer as a last resort. Lets try and find the root of the problem first.

I'd start with those first 3 things...

Water conditioner? Yes. Once a day feedings? How much should I change to clear up the water.

Water conditioner? Yes. Once a day feedings? How much should I change to clear up the water.

Try a 50% water change. See how it does then maybe follow up with a 25%.

What's your schedule again? Not sure if you posted it.

12 Hours a day.

12 hours IMO is too long. Fish don't need light. It's really for your viewing pleasure. Unless you have plants, even then I think 12 hours is long. My lights go on at 3:30pm and off at 10pm.

I work all day 6 days a week. No need for the lights to be on of nobody is home enjoying the tank IMO.

A UV sterilizer will wipe out green water in a few days. In my experience, water changes only feed the algae.

It is only 10 g tank so sterilizers won't fit will they?

Since you don't have anything photosynthetic, you can black the tank out. You could uncover it just to feed. I don't know how long it will take this way but I'm guessing up to a week. They do sell in-line UV sterilizers also. Sometimes I skim so quickly though posts, I miss key information. :facepalm:

I have live plants so i can't black out the tank.

Well, just speaking from experience here, but I did massive water changes on a 150 gallon tank that had a green water outbreak. It just seemed to fuel the algae. It was not until I Implemented a UV sterilizer that it went away.

Oh. Then what can I do without a UV sterilizer.

Well, just speaking from experience here, but I did massive water changes on a 150 gallon tank that had a green water outbreak. It just seemed to fuel the algae. It was not until I Implemented a UV sterilizer that it went away.

Would this also be best for hair algae ?

Back
Top Bottom