feeding veggies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buffalochip

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know lots of fish need some veggies in the diet. I have some dryed veggie rounds that i use occasionally but would like to know.... what kind of real veggies do you feed and how do you deliver them and recover uneaten portions.

I feel broccoli, zucchini, cucumber, carrots, and lettuce- only occassionaly do I feed veggies though. I just drop in an appropriate piece and then net or grab anything left after a few hours. Or, for my loaches, they'll eat them out of my hand.

I got a pack of bamboo skewers from big blue department store for .99, blanch the veg, get on stick, drop it in or plant it. Rather easy recovery.

a bit off topic but how exactly do you guys prep these different veggies? I see blanching a lot but what exactly does that entail?

Blanching is easy! Just boil the vegetable for a few minutes until it's done and then dip it in some ice water.

What is the point of that exactly, to make it sink or make it softer? Thanks for the info though. I was just boiling mine, whats the ice water for?

You know those skillet meals you get at some restaurants? It's still cooking when they bring it to the table.

Blanching softens veg via cooking, then instantly stops the cooking process and cools it off so it can be eaten immediately.

Canned French cut green beans with no salt. Drain and put some in the tank overnight. You can scoop it out in the morning. My plecos and guppies love them and I don't have to do much. Other veggies like sweet potatoes and zucchini etc I microwave with some water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have read about feeding Bettas peas, but would a Betta also eat the veggies Sini listed? How often should a fishkeeper feed veg? I imagine it depends on what kind of fish you have....but is there a loose rule of thumb? I would like to start but have been hesitant.

If you already have a rotation of different kinds, put it in the rotation. I feed 20% calcium sticks for the shrimp and snails, next day it's just leftover fish food, day after is a busted up algae wafer, then leftovers, blanched zucchini, leftovers, then no one gets anything for a day and it's back to calcium sticks. On leftover days, it's a slightly larger pinch of flake, granules or frozen brine shrimp and there are two deposits, one each end of the tank. Yep. I complicate stuff pretty well but I want to make sure no one starves.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

My clown pleco will eat a whole cucumber slice in a night, about a quarter inch thick of a slice

I feed brocolli to my mollies and Dojos, blanched. I put a small type of Chip Clip on it to weight it to the bottom. The Chip Clip has no metal on it, just plastic. I also give the salt-free french cut green beans once or twice a week. For my shrimp and snails, they get spirulina sticks, sinking veggie wafers, and a little bit of algae wafer--not too much, as if they don't eat it all, it kind of fouls the water.

Back
Top Bottom