Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adamzam15

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I've searched the forum and come across many discussions regarding food.

I just wanted to fully understand, so thought I would make a new thread.

Part one: exactly how much food should I be giving? For example: I currently only have three platys. How much do they need?

I only got them today. But they already constantly beg. I've read here that they always beg due to there natural behaviours, but I'm left wondering if I should be feeding them.

Secondly: the lfs recommended new era tropical flakes as better than prima. I want to give my tank a varied diet as I've read it's healthier. I will be having a community tank and was hoping I could be given a guideline on what different things to feed.

Thanks!

Hi! Figuring out the ideal amount to feed is a bit of trial and error at first and takes some practice. It's better to start out with too little and you can always add a bit more. Once a day feeding is usually fine, some feed twice. Try starting with a few flakes and see what happens. Make sure they all get some. Fish always act hungry but if they eat too much it can cause issues with their digestion and swim bladder.

Fish do like varied diets as well. Flakes are ok as a staple. I prefer pellets (new life spectrum or hikari, but not sure what you have in the UK) as they're less messy and easier to control the amounts. Frozen foods are appreciated by fish---daphnia, bloodworms, shrimp -- once or twice a week as a treat. Thaw the cube in some tank water first. I usually only give a quarter to a half a cube and freeze the rest.

If you just got them today I'd let them rest and get used to their new surroundings and start feeding them tomorrow.

As Library girl said it's a bit of trial and error.

Usually I feed enough for my fish to eat in 1 and half - 2 mins. While figuring it out I actually set a timer. I'd feed a bit and at the 1 minute mark I'd see how the tank was. If everyone was done eating I knew I could feed a touch more.

I also unplug my filter when I feed flakes. I find often that the filter current will suck food down before it gets eaten and it can cause a lot of extra waste.

My usual schedule is 6 days on with a 1 day break. In those 6 days I feed a mix of their staple food(flakes or pellets) and a couple days a week I offer veggies(usually peas but sometimes carrots or broccoli) or freeze dried worms(tubifex, blood worms, etc.). I'd offer live or frozen but have yet to find any in my area.

Again this is just what I do to give you an idea.

Thank you.

Both your posts have been very useful.

I'm going to try and buy some variety and make Monday's (today) a fast day

Back
Top Bottom