Fertilizer Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carrie1

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I am going to order some ferts this weekend and was wanting some advice or if anyone has any links for me to check out. So I currently have swords, hornwort, lots of creeping jenny, a val, and lots of pothos and philodendron in my hob filter. I also plan to add lots more plants slowly over time when I have the money. Its a low light no c02 tank. I would like to keep things simple and do EI dosing and just do a big water change as usual once a week. Would that be too much for a low tech tank? I also saw a product called thrive. Any one use this? If I do the EI how often should I dose a week and do I do the micros and macros the same day and the same amount? Any help is appreciated!!

So I was just reading the plant article about ferts and it says low light tanks dont really need anything other than I forget but maybe it was potassium and iron and that seachems products would be fine? Is this true? Would the thrive I mentioned still be too much for low light? Sorry for all the questions! If I can save money and buy more plants instead I am all for it! ?

Whether it is low or high light, plants will only use enough ferts needed for photosynthesis. EI for low light overkill? Maybe. The fert demand is less with a low light setup obviously. You might consider a PPS-Pro kit (Green Leaf Aquariums or Nilocg Aquatics) as it is a lesser concentrated variation of EI. I think PPS-Pro is simpler as you are adding the same solutions each day. With low light you might be fine with dosing 3-4x per week.
I've not used EI or ThriveS so I cannot comment on dosing rates.
IMO EI or PPS-Pro provides a less confusing and more comprehensive fert regimen than the separate liquid solutions (Seachem). Plus it is much more economical. I'm still using the same PPS-Pro kit for my 20g high tech tank that I purchased in DEC 2013.

With low light, I'd just do thrive at maybe a half dose of what it recommends. Just have to find the balance for what will work to not get any algae.

EI dosing in a low tech tank is not really EI.... From what i read and researched those who do some sort of EI dosing in low tech setups are only doing very small ferts once maybe 2xs a week

The reason EI works for a high lighted Co2 injected tank is you have guaranteed that light and CO2 are not limiting factors and therefore fertilizers are your only limiting factor.

In a low tech that balance can still be found but its more touchy because you are not saturating light or CO2 so any extra ferts are going feed certain algae types

Ahh thank you all! I was looking at the pps pro as well. So I will read some more into the pps pro or thrive. I do like the powder mix as it seems much cheaper in the long run!

I use the DIY pps-pro from NilocG, it comes in premeasured packages you just add to 500ml ro water. You would get along good with that.

And does that have everything I would need? Also roughly how long does that last you?

Next question what about dosing an excel like product? Would that be useful?

Next question what about dosing an excel like product? Would that be useful?

Excel is always good for abit of a boost in growth and to minimise algae. I don't use it myself unless zapping algae but if I had a low tech id use it [emoji106]

I can't remember exactly when I started (2-3 month range), but I'm down to 200ml of my first bottle. The DIY pps-pro comes with 2 packets each of micros and macros. I ordered an extra packet of each.

My tank is low tech and I dose excell every day with my ferts.

Will I see any melting with my val or other plants? Also is it cheaper to buy the straight glut (or whatever its called lol) or the excel?

Will I see any melting with my val or other plants? Also is it cheaper to buy the straight glut (or whatever its called lol) or the excel?

I wouldn't recommend excel with vals. U can use it but in very small doses and work your way up. H2o2 is the alternative(I think) and is a lot cheaper as u mix it with water to make a solution.

H202 is peroxide. I was talking about glutaraldehyde its one of the ingredients in excel. So far from my research it seems people havent had many issues with it and it seems like the cheaper option. So I was wondering if anyone here has used it. Either way if I decide to use either I will start slow with the tank that has the val.

After looking around I decided I didnt want to deal with the straight glut as it seems pretty toxic and with kids dogs and a cat I dont think the few dollars saving is worth it right now! So Ill go with excel

Thank you guys again for all the help! Im gonna look around at ferts and excel and get some ordered this weekend! Maybe try to order some more plants! I want some crypts! Ohh I have one more question I want a grassy type small plant that will be ok in low light...any suggestions? Would dwarf sag work? Or any others? Thanks again for all the help!!

Thank you guys again for all the help! Im gonna look around at ferts and excel and get some ordered this weekend! Maybe try to order some more plants! I want some crypts! Ohh I have one more question I want a grassy type small plant that will be ok in low light...any suggestions? Would dwarf sag work? Or any others? Thanks again for all the help!!

Dwarf sag, micro sword(liliaposis) and crypt parva can all carpet. Dwarf sag is closest to the grass look.

Stay away from hair grass, it can be grown in low light setup's but is very hard to grow in low tech and is certainly for the more advanced scapers.

Whether it is low or high light, plants will only use enough ferts needed for photosynthesis. EI for low light overkill? Maybe. The fert demand is less with a low light setup obviously. You might consider a PPS-Pro kit (Green Leaf Aquariums or Nilocg Aquatics) as it is a lesser concentrated variation of EI. I think PPS-Pro is simpler as you are adding the same solutions each day. With low light you might be fine with dosing 3-4x per week.
I've not used EI or ThriveS so I cannot comment on dosing rates.
IMO EI or PPS-Pro provides a less confusing and more comprehensive fert regimen than the separate liquid solutions (Seachem). Plus it is much more economical. I'm still using the same PPS-Pro kit for my 20g high tech tank that I purchased in DEC 2013.

Yep, PPS-Pro at normal recommended dosage 4x a week works just fine. I use pressurized CO2 though, so one without it could probably dose less with no problem. PPS-Pro all the way! In my opinion, EI is overkill for all tanks, high light and low light. Plus you have to do huge water changes, sometimes twice a week with EI.

Awesome those were all plants I was looking at already plus I just love crypts lol. And I think I will go with pps pro. Seems a lot of people lean towards that! Thanks everyone you put my mind at ease about ferts! ?

Back
Top Bottom