Few Questions from a newb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaunakadub

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey people, my girlfriend came home the other day with a small plant from petsmart for my 10gallon aquarium called an Amazon Sword.

Not knowing anything about plants, I basically just put it in my gravel substrate and hoped for it to work.

I don't inject co2 or anything like that, and I have a 15w flour. light. It's really to early for me to be able to say if it is growing or dying, it mostly looks like it did the day it got put in.

I also pondered the idea of tying it to my Malaysian driftwood because I thought I read somewhere that some plants like to grow on it, but I wasn't sure if the amazon sword was one of those plants.

Any tips/ideas would be greatly appreciated. :D

Amazon swords like to be planted in the substrate. There are plants you can attach to driftwood (anubias, mosses, and Java ferns come to mind). I am not sure if you have enough light for a sword you may, you will just have to see how it does. I can tell you that if does grow it will become much to large for that tank.

Good Luck.

Here's couple links to info about Amazon Swords on PlantGeek.Net.

Link 1
Link 2

To sum up what you'll read there. You really don't have enough light for this plant to thrive, but you make get lucky and it will survive. Either way it's going to be a monster that will likely out grow your tank if it does at all well.

Back
Top Bottom