fiddler crabs and tank mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
allaboutfish said:
can you have live rock in brackish water?

I'm not entirely positive, but I don't think you can. Brackish water is only about a 1/4 of the salt of a full marine tank.

I think the live rock will eventually become just an ordinary rock in brackish conditions. Live rocks come from marine environments, so most of the things living on the rock needs high salinity levels. Low salinity levels will kill off most of the "live" portion of the rock.

Just buy a rock that looks natural for brackish water ;)

generally brackish water is a hectic place to be, higher currents and more sediment in the water because of the faster moving water. So usually, brackish water is darker brown in color and has a variety of living organisms from one point to the next.

if you use live rock the bacteria and everything that was in it will die but thats no big deal because it will become populated with brackish bacteria.

Homer8 said:
if you use live rock the bacteria and everything that was in it will die but thats no big deal because it will become populated with brackish bacteria.

Wouldn't you have to be careful with the live rock though? I would think it would alter the sg of the tank...

I cant imagine it would add that much salt and if you add it when you set up the tank you can wait a few days test SG if its too high take a little water out and add some fresh. It would be a tiby water change

Long thread..maybe you've already decided but I wanted to chime in, I keep fiddlers with bumblebee gobies and they do great together :)

sorry to restart a thread but will a red claw crab climb up my filter tube??

Attachments

• image-4169356669.jpg
    image-4169356669.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 52
  • image-159160260.jpg
    image-159160260.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 43
sorry to restart a thread but will a red claw crab climb up my filter tube??
ive heard they could(crabs are awesome escape artists) but as long as they have access to air and brackish water i doubt theyll try...very often.

Yep, a diverse land area is best :) They aren't necessarily trying to escape, but they love to climb thins like wires and filters. You can try to seal exits with a hood and tape.

--Adeeb

Back
Top Bottom