Fiddlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrackAttack

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was really interested in keeping fiddler crabs and i already have a brackish tank so i no how to set it up. i was researching them and noticed some people keep them with mudskippers. i wasnt planning on any fish in the tank but the mudskippers look so cool i just wanted to try to see if it was possible. i was wondering if anyone had anything comment about that or has done it. i was thinking of getting a 20L(more land area) and getting 1 or 2 mudskipper and 1 fiddler.

You might be able to get away with one mudskipper and one fiddler. If you go larger, like a 40 gallon breeder, you could keep maybe 4 fiddlers and two or three mudskippers. Then you'd get to see the natural behaviors of the different species. :) Just make sure your crabs are big enough--mudskippers will eat smaller crabs.

Oddly enough, I haven't run across that one nearly as much in my research (you might have :D ). One of the coolest tanks I saw was a bigger one with 4 or 5 fiddlers, a couple red claws (which didn't last) and 4 to 6 mudskippers. They got the skippers at a little smaller than the fiddlers, I think, and everyone was good. But it takes a fair bit of room to keep them together--mudskippers are territorial.

Ok that makes me feel better now to set up the tank and find a fiddler and skipper. How about a redclaw crab would that work?

Don't think so--the guy that had fiddlers and skippers together indicated that either the red claws tried to kill his fiddlers or the other way around. I was disappointed. I'd like to set up a tank with fiddlers, and I'd wanted both. *pout*

KaylNeko said:
Don't think so--the guy that had fiddlers and skippers together indicated that either the red claws tried to kill his fiddlers or the other way around. I was disappointed. I'd like to set up a tank with fiddlers, and I'd wanted both. *pout*

I was asking if i could have red claws instead of fiddlers

Oh! Sorry. Yes, I think that would work--I don't think they're any more or less aggressive than fiddlers.

sweet now to find one. ill start with the crab then get a mudskipper. ill probably get an indian mudskipper.

im actually thinking about buying one of those underwater crab habitats.
they look awesome. slightly expensive but looks worth it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom