Film on Top of Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kushgodrex

Aquarium Advice Freak
What causes the film on top of the water that requires me to get a surface skimmer in order to remove it. WC don't even hurt it. I know how remove it, I just want to get down to the cause of it.

Film on top of water

Yes, protein film and other floating "stuff" that isn't getting filtered. I just raise my filter for a while, overnight or sometimes just a few hours. That takes care of it. The falling water carries it down into the water.. then hopefully the mechanical filtration eventually traps some of it.

its from broken down food and dust.

I have a 75g and I can get rid of 95% of it with a simple device.

I use a spaghetti Tupperware, basically you submerge the empty tupperware in the water leaving just the rim out of the surface. lower one edge so that the tank water starts to slowly draw into the big cup like tupperware. Use this to go around the top of the water almost like your siphoning it out. empty the thing in a sink when your done. Its easy.

large biological compounds, like proteins, that are one of the many resulting coponents of a living system...like an aquarium...

Back
Top Bottom