Filter covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marbles21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have 2 emperer (spelling) 400 filters on my tank. as everyone here prob knows they have the "top cover" that sits on the top and covers the replaceable filter and the biowheel. the guy at my lfs said to keep the cover off b/c it deprives the bacteria on the biowheel oxygen it needs to live.

is this true? has anyone ever herd this before?

The bacteria do like/use/need oxygen, not sure about that filter or cover though

I use mine because it makes the filter silenter and my lights sit close to it so it stops any splash over. IT would make sense that the biowheel will get less oxygen to it but as long as it looks a dirty brown color then you should be good. At least i think they need to be a brown color as all mine are lol

As long as the filter is running with water movement through it and the bio-wheel is turning occasionally, I cannot imagine there is any way the bacteria in the filter could use up all the oxygen within the confines of the filter unit. Movement of the water and the wheel will continue to keep a small amount of fresh air exchange within the filter, and there is 20.9% oxygen in the that air. Additionally, the discharge of water out of the filter should create a bit of a venturi effect and slightly lower the pressure within the filter, allowing the outside to seep in around the inlet tube, the slots in the filter cover and sides of the filter cover. Unless the compartment were sealed off completely with no air exchange, I seriously doubt this would be an issue.

the only thing the covers are designed for is to keep the splash factor down, keep the wheel out of site, and to keep the mechanics a bit quieter.

Back
Top Bottom