Filter for a 40 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrSquirtle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm going to get a 40 gallon tank. I only have 2 red eared sliders that are both 3 inches. I'm wondering what would be a good filter for them. Nothing over $100 please. :)

Aquaclear 110 is what I have on mine, cheap efficient and it's a HOB

You should be using a filter rated 2-3 times higher than that of your tank. Turtles are EXTREMELY messy and are just as susceptible to ammonia and nitrites as fish are. I'd be using a canister filter on a tank like that, especially given that you have two turtles that are of a species that require a 100+ gallon tank. There's a reason they are an invasive species across the country, like here in Michigan. People underestimate them and when they outgrow their tank, the careless owners simply release them... With aquatic turtles, you really can't go the "budget" route with tank size, filtration, or lighting.

I'm going to get a 40 gallon tank. I only have 2 red eared sliders that are both 3 inches. I'm wondering what would be a good filter for them. Nothing over $100 please. :)
Turtles? I agree, you need a canister. I would list the popular filters, but for such messy things as turtles, please invest in a good canister, and be diligent with water changes!!

You may eventually need a second type of filter, I dunno for sure though.

Hope I helped!

I'll get a canister filter then. Would the Rena XP2 be a good filter? 300 gph

Back
Top Bottom