filter media...micron sizing help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicfishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
when you go to buy those bags for filter media, what does the micron size mean? does a bigger size like 750 filter out smaller particles or does one with a 100 micron size? thanks guys

micron is a unit of measure, think inches, the smaller the number, the smaller the holes, the smaller the items it filters.

If I recall correctly, a micron is 1 micrometer, or 1/1,000,000 of a meter (roughly 1/300,000 of a foot)

I believe the thickness of a human hair is 10 -15 microns. but yes, a 50 micron filter will do well. mild water polishing. Just be careful to watch your flow rate.. it can slow things down a bit.

will do, my tank is still staying cloudy and the only thing i can think of is high phosphates i have, they measureed off the charts

I doubt micron filtration will remove that. Your best bet to reduce phos. would be phosban type media or an HBH phosphate removing pad.

cools, look like the fish get to enjoy some more cloudy water until i get the money for the phosban stuff lol

Back
Top Bottom