Filter Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TML182

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey, so i was just wondering what your take is on changing filter media (floss,carbon etc) every 4 weeks like the filter manufacturer suggests. I've been doing a bit of research and have only been able to find conflicting responses from people on either end, the people who change them as suggested and some people who only change them every year. Thanks for your insight in advance :D

I dont recommend changing the filter cartridge ever. The cartridge holds most of the beneficial bacteria in the it and if changed, It could case a mini-cycle.

The only filters that I know wouldnt go through a mini-cycle when the cartridge is changed are the ones with the bio-wheels. The wheel acts like the bacteria collector, so changing the cartridge wont effect the aquarium.

Tyler

I don't change any of my mechanical or biological media unless it's completely disintegrating. I clean both in a bucket of old tank water maybe once a month.

Chemical media is a different story. Activated carbon has a short effective lifespan and needs to be changed regularly if you're going to use it. I only run carbon if I'm trying to remove something from the water.

I don't change any of my mechanical or biological media unless it's completely disintegrating. I clean both in a bucket of old tank water maybe once a month.

Chemical media is a different story. Activated carbon has a short effective lifespan and needs to be changed regularly if you're going to use it. I only run carbon if I'm trying to remove something from the water.

Ditto here.

Back
Top Bottom