Filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knutsen1122

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there anything wrong with using a hydro sponge filter like the one in the picture, along with a HOB filter with carbon insert inside a grow out tank?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404789667.987041.jpg

Nothing wrong with it. Just make sure you have a good air pump.

Nothing wrong with it at all. If your plans are for your Discus grow out, I would run that with or without an hob. Many breeders use this only because they do WC's 2-3 times every day. Also, with that many WC's, there's really no reason for carbon in a filter. I only use carbon in my RCS tank with a box type filter. I do have a similar sponge pictured in my Discus tank so I can instantly seed a new tank for QT or hospital purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

My question is why use the carbon insert? They're useful for clearing out meds or other chemicals after treating the tank for something, but not necessary (or even particularly useful) in general for normal maintenance. I use hydro sponges on my hob and canister filter intakes as well as stand-alone air driven filters to help pick up more debris.

My question is why use the carbon insert? They're useful for clearing out meds or other chemicals after treating the tank for something, but not necessary (or even particularly useful) in general for normal maintenance. I use hydro sponges on my hob and canister filter intakes as well as stand-alone air driven filters to help pick up more debris.

The reason for the carbon is, I bought this tank with an HOB filter that uses them and had no reason to change it. I just recently bought a hydro sponge and figured it couldn't hurt to have both, especially if I want to capture any particles that come of the sides of the tank while I'm changing the water. In my display tank I have an air driven sponge along with an HOB and a bubble wand. It seems to stay very clean.

I use 2 sponges in my aquaclear hob filters, the carbon bag will provide some biofiltration in the long run but it doesn't pick up debris like the sponges. One of the best things about the air-driven sponges is that even if the hob doesn't restart after a power outage or something jams the impeller there's still circulation and biofiltration in the tank. Plenty of fishrooms I've seen just use sponges, but I still like the turnover rate of the hob's and the stronger circulation they provide.

Back
Top Bottom