Filtration options for 5.5-gallon betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vincent

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm getting ready to set up a 5.5-gallon tank with a betta fish and am trying to decide between filtration options. I'm new to betta fish, but what I've read leads me to believe that I want filtration of about 2x3 times the aquarium's capacity. Does that sound reasonable?

I of course don't want anything that will take up a lot of interior space, and I don't want to get into modifying filters or pumps. So I've found two options so far that appeal to me:

1. Undergravel filter with something like an Aqua Clear 5 or Marina Cool air. I'll probably start with silk plants, so a UGF should work. My only concern is the gravel's resistance (I'll probably have about an inch of medium gravel). Would this setup result in the rate of filtration I should have for this aquarium?
  2. Tetra Whisper 3i - It's rated for 1 to 3-gallon aquariums (basically plastic betta kits), but it's GPH is in the range I'm looking for. Would it matter that my aquarium is a little bigger than what the filter is intended for?
  3. A small sponge filter, as long as it doesn't take a huge amount of space.
Are there any options I might be missing?

Thanks,
Vincent

Fluval fx 6.

Just kidding. lol. Tank that size could probably do an air powered sponge filter. There's videos on YouTube from a guy named King of DIY. He shows you how to make an extremely efficient moving bed filter with mechanical and biological filtration in a small water bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I checked with Tetra, and they said the Whisper 3i would work for my application as long as I stay on top of water changes. I'll go with that.

I support your decision on choosing what best fits your budget. I googled that whisper filter and for another five dollars, you can get one that is rated suitable for 5-10 gallons. It's the same company. The tetra smart 10. For another five bucks you can probably do weekly water changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's not about budget at this point. I'd happily spend significantly more (within reason, of course) for the right filter. It's just that pickings are awfully slim when you're looking for 12-20 GPH.

King of DIY does have some interesting ideas. I also like Pondguru Outdoors' moving bed filter made from a shampoo bottle. I'm going to make one for my next community tank when current isn't as much of a concern.

I've had the 3i on the 5.5. Really wasn't very effective. I recommend the 10i if you like the internal filter. The flow is adjustable with a switch on the back and you can always substitute your own filter media for their cartridges which will impact the force of the return flow. I use biorings, a bag of Purigen and quilt batting for floss.

The endlers in this tank actually nap under the filter. I keep the foot of a stocking over the intake to keep little critters out, namely baby snails.

I always thought that it's ideal to cycle the tanks capacity 6 to 10 times per hour. There's a great mechanical filter here:
or if you want mechanical and biological, I would build this one:

The first one would require an inexpensive powerhead, and the second one would require an air pump and some K1 Media. It takes longer to cycle, but it's worth the extra two weeks wait because it's the most effective and efficient (self cleaning) media on the market.

I think a small sponge filter will be best for a betta because they wont produce a lot of flow. I have one in a 5 gallon also.

Back
Top Bottom