filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m-man

Aquarium Advice Regular
im setting up a 46 gallon african tank, and i want to replace, or add to my penguin 330, with a canaster filter
i can't decide which brand to go with it seems between fluval, rena and, ehim

what do you use and recommend?

Of those three brands I would go with Eheim. They invented the canister filter, so they must know a thing or two about how to get them working well. Rena are also very good. Fluval make the FX5 which is possibly the best canister filter for large (i.e. 6' etc.) tanks.

Eheim are good, sturdy, reliable units though. Eheim classics are actually more efficient and effective than the newer models, but they're not self priming and I don't think they have filter baskets either so they're a bit more messy. But, you may want to double check that.

I use Tetratec externals myself: if you can get hold of them I highly recommend them. Well priced, German made so again with the Eheim-like reliability and durability, and they self prime too which is always a relief :D

I have a Rena Filstar XP2. The quality is great, very easy to use. They are silent, or at least others I have spoken to say so....I think mine is defected or something because mine is as loud as my Penguin 200, I am in the process of getting a replacement part.

Anyway, I have a 46g Bow Malawi tank with 8 cichlids (still young) so my water is crystal clear. I'd buy it, also because it has two baskets for the media of your choice. Pricematched at Petsmart for $80.

If you're on a budget and need a canister, the Rena Filstar is the way to go. They are great filters. If money is no object, I'd go with Eheim. The Classic canisters won't be too hard on the wallet. I believe Foster & Smith has the best online pricing. I'd go with at least a 2215 and keep the HOB for water polishing and additional mechanical filtration. If you can swing the 2217, I'd grab it, as it allows for future growth.

FWIW, I have a XP2 and 2215 in my 46gal tank...

I get blasted whenever I bring them up, but I still love my Magnum 350. Of course, I have never used another cannister, so I can't compare.

Good luck!

I get blasted whenever I bring them up, but I still love my Magnum 350. Of course, I have never used another cannister, so I can't compare.

Good luck!

I'm with you ! thats what I have, but we are moving and I will be restarting my 100 G F/w to an Africans, a complete makeover and restart. I have been thinking of another canister filter but I am not sure whats good & not good. I know our Magnums lack biological filtering so thats the reason for thinking about an upgrade.

The problem with the fx5 is it clogs upp too quickly. I like the bio wheels by marineland or penquin. you get the best of both worlds. Great mechanical filter and Alot of bacteria. Plus you have alot of options available with the media trays.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom