Fin Nipper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dtz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Brand new here...so here's the situation. I have a 10 gal and after much talk with the local shop am doing a fish in cycle. To do this I have four long fin zebra danios. I do daily and sometimes by daily checks of the water and making sure that I keep the ammonia down below 0.25. Haven't read any Nitrites or Nitrates yet. Been doing lots of water changes and having fun doing it too.

One of the fish is bigger than the other three. Don't know if the fish is a female but I'm choosing to call the fish Bertha. So Bertha was bought with the other three and they all lived in the same tank together with other of the same kind. None of them appeared to have any fin damage. I was looking the other day and noticed that one of the smaller fish's back fin is ripped down the middle. Interestingly enough the fin doesn't looked frayed, just ripped. Bertha has been a little aggressive is the only thing I can think of. She chases all of them around.

Any ideas? And this may seem a little naive but will the fin heal itself?

Welcome to Aquarium Advice! I'd think they are establishing a pecking order between eachother. It should stop soon and the tail should heal and get a little better

Welcome! brand new here as well :), it sounds like one of your zebra danios is just asserting its dominance over the others. it will probably settle soon after one of them becomes the leader since they live have some sort of hierarchy amongst themselves. if you notice that the nipping gets really bad, then think about either letting the ripped finned fish recuperate somewhere else or returning the one that attacked it

Back
Top Bottom